Dakota Durango Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts
American Shifter markets a floor mounted shifter system for the 545RFE, that they advertise as capable to provide manual shifting capability: Side Shift Transmission Shifter Kit with 6” Chrome Arm for Chrysler 45RFE « American Shifter

Although it shows as for the 45RFE, it also adapts to the 545RFE. Using this shifter lets the driver select fully automatic, with an option to manually shift.
Nice piece but that's still only going to get you PRND21 because its a physical shifter not the electronic controlled manual shift that the 65RFE has programed into it. hooking that part up to it is the challenge.

Right. For me, the option of manual shifting the lower gears is the goal. Driving a 2WD pickup in the winter is easier when I can easily choose a higher gear (2nd and 3rd) to get moving versus just trying to limp along in 1st gear.

If I come across a 65RFE trans I'll consider what i can do with that versus the American Shifter option on a 545RFE.

Right. For me, the option of manual shifting the lower gears is the goal. Driving a 2WD pickup in the winter is easier when I can easily choose a higher gear (2nd and 3rd) to get moving versus just trying to limp along in 1st gear.

If I come across a 65RFE trans I'll consider what i can do with that versus the American Shifter option on a 545RFE.
Funny thing with automatics. You put it in 2nd and it still uses 1st gear starting out. They don't lock in to that gear. They only limit that as the highest gear it will use.

Hmm.. I had a 2010 Ford Fusion with the V6/6-spd automatic, and I could manually shift it to start out in 2nd gear for slippery conditions. Same for the 2006 Ford Explorer I had with the V8/6-spd automatic. Now I have a 2018 Ford Escape with the L4/6-spd automatic and I can manually shift into 2nd and short shift to 3rd for easier take off in slippery conditions. All these Fords had a manual shift position, or manual shift "switch". I assumed a manual shift option on the 545RFE trans would operate the same way,

Hmm.. I had a 2010 Ford Fusion with the V6/6-spd automatic, and I could manually shift it to start out in 2nd gear for slippery conditions. Same for the 2006 Ford Explorer I had with the V8/6-spd automatic. Now I have a 2018 Ford Escape with the L4/6-spd automatic and I can manually shift into 2nd and short shift to 3rd for easier take off in slippery conditions. All these Fords had a manual shift position, or manual shift "switch". I assumed a manual shift option on the 545RFE trans would operate the same way,
Thats because ford actually programed them to do so. Mopar in their infinite wisdom decided to save your transmission rather than let you smoke out your clutch packs.
In 2012 when they revamped the 545RFE to the 65RFE you could start it out in 2nd, but if you gave it to much throttle or had a load on it, it would still shift down to 1st. Even the SRT8 chargers I've driven would shift down if given too much throttle. After you hit 25 mph it wont shift out of that gear no matter what until you tell it to but from a dead stop they protect the user from damaging something.

That would still be good for me. I'd only use 2nd or 3rd to get moving on snow slick surfaces just to get the momentum to get the truck moving and then shift to full auto. Based on that I'll be shopping for a 2012 65RFE to get the controls options I want for winter driving.

That would still be good for me. I'd only use 2nd or 3rd to get moving on snow slick surfaces just to get the momentum to get the truck moving and then shift to full auto. Based on that I'll be shopping for a 2012 65RFE to get the controls options I want for winter driving.
Quite frankly its all in the programing, hope its all compatible with what your putting together.

In my earlier post I was referring to the 545RFE or 65RFE, neither of which will connect to the 5.2 Magnum that I have decided to install in my 56 pickup build. The ZF 8HP-70 is a much better trans, and it will connect to the old Mopar V8s.

I confirmed with Russel at Sound German in WA state. The 8HP-70 trans will bolt up to a LA 318, 5.2 Magnum, 340 or 360 Magnum, and it will work independent of the engine. He also confirmed the shift control can be done with a floor shifter, like from a Ram, Charger or Challenger. Can even use a dial shift control on the dash or console. If you want to do manual shifting (like with switches on the steering wheel) you need a 8-spd from a Charger or Challenger. If you have one from a Ram, the trans controller must be re-flashed to operate the manual shift functions independent of the console or dash shift control.

The old dashboard pushbutton control could even be adapted with micro switches added into the back of the early 60s dash mounted shifter.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.