Dakota Durango Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Dakota Sport
120 Posts
All 4.7's are overhead cam engines. So either you have a 4.7 overhead cam engine, or you don't have a 4.7.

In 2008, the 4.7 went through some engineering upgrades and they bumped the power up quite a bit. I believe the cams were more aggressive, which helped the horsepower bump. If I'm wrong about that, I hope someone will correct me. The HO cams out of high output 4.7's are definitely an upgrade either way.

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
2003 Dakota Club Cab Sport 4.7L
585 Posts
Wikipedia says there was a "HO" - high output - version available for Jeeps as early as 2002. Didn't get to Dakota until 2007. Then in 2008 the engine was changed significantly -- 2 plugs per cylinder, higher compression, better intake, etc....

A good swap might be to find a 2002/3/4 4.7L HO engine from a Jeep. Gets you 30 more HP.

Reactions: immattj

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
All 4.7's are overhead cam engines. So either you have a 4.7 overhead cam engine, or you don't have a 4.7.

In 2008, the 4.7 went through some engineering upgrades and they bumped the power up quite a bit. I believe the cams were more aggressive, which helped the horsepower bump. If I'm wrong about that, I hope someone will correct me. The HO cams out of high output 4.7's are definitely an upgrade either way.

Oh ok so they would fit in my 4.7

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
Better recehck those numbers, me thinks you're about 100HP off. Late model Hemis are 395 at the crank stock. No "built" 4.7 with bolt on crap that out there can hold a candle to a Hemi.

Nope... those are Rear wheel Real world numbers...

dont get lost in the advertised Crank HP... The rear wheels is where it meets the road. I have been to countless DYNO days... most of the early HEMIs only put out 250-260RWHP... And those where considered to be rocket ships... so a 4.7L making close to or more than that would be no less impressive... other than the fact that the 4.7L just sounds better at WOT than a HEMI.

We where making approximately 320RWHP in our 4.7L... That equates to just over 400HP at the crank... so is that less impressive than the HEMI at 395 crank? Asking for a friend.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM PERFORMANCE

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
Oh ok so they would fit in my 4.7
YES, all 4.7L cams are interchangeable. You must insure you use the correct passengers side cam tone ring for the year make and model the cams are going into...not from what they came from.

Just reuse your factory tone ring and you will be good to go.

Don't let the timing chains scare you from swapping cams. Its really not that difficult. I have done them from start to finish in just under 2 hours. Of course if you have never done them before it will take longer... but its not rocket science. It literally takes longer to get the valve covers off and expose the cams than it does to actually swap the cams.

If you have any questions or concerns about swapping cams in the 4.7L, feel free to contact me, I can walk you through the process.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
YES, all 4.7L cams are interchangeable. You must insure you use the correct passengers side cam tone ring for the year make and model the cams are going into...not from what they came from.

Just reuse your factory tone ring and you will be good to go.

Don't let the timing chains scare you from swapping cams. Its really not that difficult. I have done them from start to finish in just under 2 hours. Of course if you have never done them before it will take longer... but its not rocket science. It literally takes longer to get the valve covers off and expose the cams than it does to actually swap the cams.

If you have any questions or concerns about swapping cams in the 4.7L, feel free to contact me, I can walk you through the process.

Ok thank u will they got back in hey certain way or is that where I line up the timing chain

21 - 27 of 27 Posts