Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Up to ten motorcycles now
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2001 Dak SLT 4.7 has 203,000 miles on it. I have owned/driven it since buying it for $1500 at 153,000 miles. It doesn't leak, doesn't use oil, doesn't burn coolant (coolant level stays stable), starts/idles easily and smooth. I change the oil every 5k, hasn't overheated. So,....am I pushing my luck to use it? Is it a cam chain tensioner issue just waiting to let go on me? What's others experience with high miles 4.7 V8 Daks?

I have a company vehicle so right now I maybe drive the Dak maybe 2,000 a year. I am buying a 56 Dodge C1 pickup and may use the 2001 Dak as the donor chassis under the 56. If I do that I'll update the 4.7, get it totally freshened up before I really put it into daily driver service after I retire.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My daily driver is a 2002 with 250K original miles, and with the exception of the awesome mileage we get, I don't hesitate driving it on 6-10 hour road trips loaded down with gear and family.

·
Up to ten motorcycles now
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good news. I think the 4.7 gets maligned as a bad engine. But some of that is how the engine is used/serviced. I'm planning to use my Dakota as the donor chassis for the 56 Dodge pickup I just bought. For that build I will buy a used 4.7HO 2008 or newer engine, or buy a remanufactured 4.7HO long block. I can easily expect over 200,000 out of that engine in my 56 Dodge pickup build.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts