Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking into buying a 3rd gen 4x4 for my daly driver, either the 4.7 or 5.2. I don't have any experience with either of these motors. I'm just wondering if anyone can give me input of which one I should look to get. I know that the 5.2 were only available to a certain year? 2000 maybe? Eventually will be looking to tow some lightweight stuff. Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
99 was the last year of the 5.2

Go for the 4.7. Lighter, more efficient, much better trans.
That's really what I was leaning towards, anything to look for specifically with these trucks? thanks for the reply

·
Registered
396 Posts
My wife drives a 98 Durango 4x4 with the 5.2 with bolt on mods. I have a 2001 Dakota quad cab 4x4 with the 4.7 with about the same bolt ons. She has 3.92 gears and I have 3.55 gears. Also her 5.2 has around 20,000 miles since the motor was completely rebuild and my 4.7 has 96,000 miles. The 4.7 just feels stronger in each and every way, towing, highway driving, city driving and stop light to stop light. My experience says 4.7.

Mike

·
Crown on the Rocks
1,667 Posts
When my R/T is paid for I am going to get a cc 4.7 4x4. My reasoning is since I already have the magnum engine, might as well get something I can drop a hemi in. Both are proven engines, Flip a coin. You wont be disappointed in either. 4.7 is easier on gas usually.

Reactions: Metal Hed
1 - 5 of 5 Posts