Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a '01 Durango with a 4.7

Changing the oil filter is such a PITA. I can't find a way to change it without pouring a bunch of oil into the plastic undertray, which then leaks out between it and the crossmember.

Anyone addressed this yet, or do I need to find the answer for the board?

If I can solve this, I'm going to start running the larger oil filter (Motorcraft FL-1A over the FL-300)

·
Registered
504 Posts
I installed a remote filter on my R/T. I was tired of trying to change the darn filter and spilling oil all over the suspension.

·
Banned
7,509 Posts
cut the end off a 2 liter pop bottle. and loosen your filter. then place the bottle over the filter and squeeze and turn. the bottle will hold all the oil that comes out and no more mess on your frame. saw this over on another dakota board a while back. :biggthump

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
mopar rt said:
I installed a remote filter on my R/T. I was tired of trying to change the darn filter and spilling oil all over the suspension.

a remote filter? what is this? do tell.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
A remote filter is a fitting that mounts in place of your oil filter. It has two long high pressure hoses that run to another mount that the oil filter mounts to. You can mount it anywhere the hoses will reach. It's a good idea.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I just use a heavy duty plastic bag, and after the filter is loose I out the bag around it and take it off. No mess.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Many people use the plastic bag that their newspaper comes in. Slide it on like a filter condom and unscrew. Don't get too many of those bags here in sunny AZ, but had tons back in IL.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Jecht said:
cut the end off a 2 liter pop bottle. and loosen your filter. then place the bottle over the filter and squeeze and turn. the bottle will hold all the oil that comes out and no more mess on your frame. saw this over on another dakota board a while back. :biggthump
That is a magnificant idea.... I'll be doing that from now on.... thanks!

Paul

·
Yes it's a lowered 4X4
2,307 Posts
I've been using the 2L pop bottle idea for almost 6 yrs now. You'll never spill a single drop again!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, Jecht and all for the pop bottle/ trash bag idea.

Just did the oil changes a couple of weeks ago, but I'll remember that when they come due again!!!!

·
LS2 inside
716 Posts
i always unscrew the the filter 1st before draining any oil.
when i did it the other way i would get oil all over.

·
Mike
1,683 Posts
I usually dont get a mess when i take mine off....but i dont have the plastic undernegth anyways...just wipe alittle bit off the crross memeber and i'm finished

G

·
Kooopsd said:
I usually dont get a mess when i take mine off....but i dont have the plastic undernegth anyways...just wipe alittle bit off the crross memeber and i'm finished
Mine is the same way. Couple of drops on the cross member... wipe that off and I'm good to go.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Mine is the same way,... nothing in the way of the filter, but it is a royal PITA to have oil all over you.... much easier to just use a 2 liter bottle....

Paul

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I removed that plastic barrier. I now use a bag over the filter and no mess!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've used the plastic bags and the coffee container and still have a mess every time.. My problem is that the filter doesnt fit through all the suspension components, radiator shroud, alternator parts, etc. It's like figuring out a puzzle trying to get the filter out after I get it off. 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am not saying that I personally recommend this, but I used to work with a guy who drained his oil & then fired his engine up long enough to evacuate the filter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts