Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my pickup brand new in 2003 and I had it made to my specifications. In October 2018 I made some mods to my pickup:

4.7 SLT Clubcab
5-speed
3.55 rearend

My THOUGHTS on the mods
The changes made the pickup much more enjoyable to drive. It has a lot more power is more responsive and is more fuel efficient. Prior to the mods the truck felt like a dog to me. I have a friend who drives a 2012 quadcab 5.0 F-150. My truck feels as fast or maybe even a little faster. Never raced him. I can now stay in 5th gear on Interstate I-81 without having to downshift when driving up on hills. I should have ordered the 3.90 rearend when I ordered my truck.
The solid lash adjusters take some time getting used to as they sound like a sewing machine. On the sound side the Magnaflow mufflers are louder than the stock and combine that with the lash adjusters at low speed the engine is quite a bit louder. Buwith the removal of the gear fan, on start up that loud noise has been eliminated. Now at wide open throttle the magna flows sound great and are LOUD.
On a non engine note wish I would have ordered the Sport vice SLT package. I dislike the grey plastic lower front bumper. Why Daimler did not have the plastic in body color paint is beyond me.

Here is what was done to the truck:
1. Superchips tuner #3845

2. Added Cold Air Intake from K&N

3. Fastman 70 mm throttle body
https://www.thefastman.com/throttlebodies47.php

4. 2008-2011 4.7L INTAKE to 99-07 CONVERSION!
+10HP Bolt on the best FACTORY intake to your 1999-2007 4.7L engine!Airram.com 2008 INTAKE

5. Added solid lash adjusters from Airram.com
Here is the weblink to the part:
https://www.airram.com/product.php?categoryid=0&productid=1416&searchquery=solid lash

6. Added new Beehive valve springs from Airram
Locator ID; 1020
Brand Comp Cams
Part #26113-16

7. Jeep 2002 HO cams

8. Timing chain drive package is for the 1999-2007 Chrysler (DODGE) 4.7L engine.

9. 1999-2008 DODGE/JEEP VEHICLES - Air Temp Sensor Extension Wire

10. Magna flow muffler

11. Removal of the gear fan

FUTURE
Will order a new harmonic balancer
New cylinders from Airram
Either 4.10 or 4.56 will be installed
Port the heads

After that my truck will be quite the powerhouse. Some might say that I should have just had a hemi installed but I just didn't want to do that. The mods that I made have already made a huge difference and the finals ones (especially the porting and getting a lower rearend) will make the truck so much more fun to drive around.
The changes suggested by Airram have been excellent so this is a shout out to him for his advice and the products he has on his website. He worked with me on what mods. Should make on my budget and what I was looking for out of my truck.

It is a great looking truck even after all of these years and because it was the first new vehicle I bought I plan on keeping it for as long as I can drive. It does not matter if it is as fast as the new Rams as long as it can get out its way and burn some tire then I am happy. It feels great that the truck can burn rubber, yeah I know childish but fun. Although the truck now meets requirements I will still do some mods.

·
www.AIRRAM.com
2,191 Posts
Sounds like a really fun truck! Thank you for the kind words and plugs. If you have any pics Id love to see them!

SPEED SAFE, NICK

·
Registered
1 Posts
Time to revive this thread. New member long time Dodge owner. I'm looking at buying a 2nd gen with a 4.7 and have been doing a lot of research for add on power. All of you mods are on my list but was wondering if you had thought of a full motor swap with a 2008 and up 4.7? The newer 4.7 has 70 more HP. That in my mind would be best bang for the buck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts