Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I am new to this forum and need some input. I have a 2002 Durango with the 4.7 and 3.55 gears. I will occasionally tow a trailer but it is mainly my "play toy". I want to increase the horsepower as much as I can without going to a supercharger or turbo and still remain reliable. 1st is the exhaust. I have been reading a lot on here about exhausts, but this is what I am looking for. This vehicle will be a "sleeper", so I want it as quiet as possible. I don't care whether it's single or dual out just want the most power and quiet as possible. I have seen a lot of different input on intakes. I was going to make my own but the only pvc I have found at Home Depot and Lowe's has been white :cussing:. With so many different intakes available which ones are yielding the highest gains? Also the IAT sensor does not screw into the manifold on the 02, so what are people doing to relocate it? Thanks in advance :drive:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Baby Hemi said:
Ok, I am new to this forum and need some input. I have a 2002 Durango with the 4.7 and 3.55 gears. I will occasionally tow a trailer but it is mainly my "play toy". I want to increase the horsepower as much as I can without going to a supercharger or turbo and still remain reliable. 1st is the exhaust. I have been reading a lot on here about exhausts, but this is what I am looking for. This vehicle will be a "sleeper", so I want it as quiet as possible. I don't care whether it's single or dual out just want the most power and quiet as possible. I have seen a lot of different input on intakes. I was going to make my own but the only pvc I have found at Home Depot and Lowe's has been white :cussing:. With so many different intakes available which ones are yielding the highest gains? Also the IAT sensor does not screw into the manifold on the 02, so what are people doing to relocate it? Thanks in advance :drive:
Like you I have an 02 4.7 but it's in a Dakota. Like you I want my truck to be a sleeper also. You can look in my signature to see my mod list. As far as the exhaust goes, if you go duals like mine or stay with a single you need to get rid of the stock 'Y' pipe and third cat if you have one. I have a 360 CAI on my truck and have been real pleased with it. I did not want to do the PVC plumbing thing. As far as the IAT goes I just bought an additional sensor (for a 2000 model because it has threads) and mounted it in the CAI tube and extended the wires to it. I also added some additional resistance to line so the PCM thinks it is even colder outside. I left the stock IAT inplace and I mounted a switch under the dash I can switch between the two if I so desire. I proved to my self on the dyno that just relocating the IAT is good for about 5rwhp. You can also remove your clutch fan, you don't really need it and the engine will actually rev up quicker and help get a little better MPG. One of the best I mods I did was to get 4.10 gears and a LSD installed. That will help you with towing when your working and it will help get you out of the hole quicker when your playing. The next best mod was HO cams. It will give you somemore RWHP and a considerable jump in the RWTQ.

Well hope that helps you...

G

·
Hey I've got an 02 Durango myself and I'm just learning all this stuff. Where the heck is the IAT sensor?? What does it looks like? What does it stand for and what does it do?? It seems like they change the location of the sensor for every year made! :help:

G

·
ok i did some research and I answered all of my own questions but one: where the heck is it? I think I have an idea but I need to know for sure. Also a description of what it exactly looks like. I'm having a feeling that it changes design by year as well as its location. Thanks!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the response guys. I am in the Central FL. area near Orlando. FLDak who installed your cams and gears? KRC performance is near me, but I am just doing some checking. How expensive for the gearing and cams installed? Fever4Fords if you open your hood the IAT sensor plugs into the top of your intake manifold on the driver's side close to the throttle body. You should see 2 wires coming from it. Hope that helps

·
Registered
100 Posts
Baby Hemi said:
Thanks for the response guys. I am in the Central FL. area near Orlando. FLDak who installed your cams and gears? KRC performance is near me, but I am just doing some checking. How expensive for the gearing and cams installed? Fever4Fords if you open your hood the IAT sensor plugs into the top of your intake manifold on the driver's side close to the throttle body. You should see 2 wires coming from it. Hope that helps
I asked the speed shop where I bought my gears and LSD at who they recommended for installing them. It was a local garage here in P'cola that did the install, I think I paid him about $225 or $250 to do the job. The cams were installed by a Dodge Tech over in Mobile, AL. That cost me $200 to have the cams installed and it only took him 2.5 hours to do the job. He said he could have done it faster except the engine was still hot. I've got some KRC 206 cams in the box and I'll be going back to him in the future to get those installed.
Yeah your located in a good area, close to KRC. They can do all of that kind of work for you.
Good luck to you!

Fever4Fords;
Baby Hemi is exactly right about the location of the IAT (Intake Air Temp) sensor. As I mentioned before I just left the stock one in place because it is just a twist and turn type connection (plus I didn't want any vacuum leaks) where the IAT for the 2000 model actually has threads. Having threads made it easier to install in the CAI (cold air intake) tube.
Hope this helps you out!

Later...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the useful info guys. Is anyone using the Superchips Power Programmer? I had the Jet Chip stage 1 before I received my programmer. I installed the performance tuning that requires 91+ octane rating. To be honest it doesn't feel any stronger, it just firmed up the shifting. Is this right or is it like other performance add-ons and the computer first has to recognize the new settings and adapt over time? :help:

·
Registered
100 Posts
From what I've read if you are pretty much stock the programmer makes a difference; in my case I hope to go with a custom flash sometime this year. As a far as firming up the shifts; when I did the TMR (Torque Management Request) mod, it made a big difference in WOT shifts with my truck. From what I've heard though not every year model can do this mod.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help with the programmer, I just don't think I'm going to go that route. I will probably send my PCM to KRC for the flash.

Later...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok FLDak school me on the TMR mod. I did a search on here and basically found nothing. Any drawbacks to the TMR mod? Thanks for your time and letting me pick your brain :biggthump

·
Registered
100 Posts
Baby Hemi said:
Ok FLDak school me on the TMR mod. I did a search on here and basically found nothing. Any drawbacks to the TMR mod? Thanks for your time and letting me pick your brain :biggthump
Try this link:

http://dodgetrucks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=51678&highlight=tmr

There's plenty to read. Basically clip the wire and your WOT shifts will be firmer. No noticably difference in normal driving, but my truck has churped the tires in 1st to 2nd WOT shifts in drive. It's up to you, to do it or not. I don't know of any drawbacks, my tranny doesn't seem hurt by it.
Hey no problem picking my brain, that's what these forums are for, to share knowledge and experience.

Hope this helps ya...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool, thanks for all the info.. I will give it a try when I get home from work today. Hopefully my vehicle will be ready. I dropped it off at my buddies shop on Friday for them to install the thermostat and they broke a bolt on the housing :cussing:. Maybe today I can get it back :drool:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Baby Hemi said:
Cool, thanks for all the info.. I will give it a try when I get home from work today. Hopefully my vehicle will be ready. I dropped it off at my buddies shop on Friday for them to install the thermostat and they broke a bolt on the housing :cussing:. Maybe today I can get it back :drool:
Yeah, those bolts that hold the Tstat housing on are small, you got to be careful to not over tighten them. Did they put in a 180* tstat?

Good luck to ya...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep 180 going in. I was going to do it myself, but after I took a long look at it I changed my mind. Well at least someone else has this headache to deal with :( . I just wish they would hurry up :cussing:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Baby Hemi said:
Yep 180 going in. I was going to do it myself, but after I took a long look at it I changed my mind. Well at least someone else has this headache to deal with :( . I just wish they would hurry up :cussing:
Good choice, next take the clucth fan off :biggthump You'll feel a difference!!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
FLDak said:
Good choice, next take the clucth fan off :biggthump You'll feel a difference!!
:jester: Been doing my homework it's already off. IAT sensor has been moved TPS sensor adjusted, CAI system with a heatshield (home-made but seems to work ok). I had a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler and that lasted about 3 days (didn't want to hear the excess noise anymore). I know that it is hurting the performance some but my last 2 vehicles have had loud systems and I don't want to hear the exhaust anymore.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Baby Hemi said:
:jester: Been doing my homework it's already off. IAT sensor has been moved TPS sensor adjusted, CAI system with a heatshield (home-made but seems to work ok). I had a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler and that lasted about 3 days (didn't want to hear the excess noise anymore). I know that it is hurting the performance some but my last 2 vehicles have had loud systems and I don't want to hear the exhaust anymore.
Yep, that confirms it, you got the mod bug :banana2:

Later...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok the saga continues. For those of you using the HO intake and cams was it worth it? I will occasionally tow a trailer with my Durango and do not want to lose any torque down low. Approx. how much horsepower did you pick up and how much of a difference did it make in the 1/4. Thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
Baby Hemi said:
Ok the saga continues. For those of you using the HO intake and cams was it worth it? I will occasionally tow a trailer with my Durango and do not want to lose any torque down low. Approx. how much horsepower did you pick up and how much of a difference did it make in the 1/4. Thanks
Yes!
If you don't want to lose any torque down low, do what I did and don't put on the HO intake.
Have you looked at this post:
http://www.dodgedakotas.com/boards/v8/4759.html

Sorry never have run my truck down the 1/4, couldn't tell ya.

Later...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.