Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, new member here but been over at dodge talk for a few years. Used to have an 02' Durango. Then I went to an 08' hemi ram. Just sold that two weeks ago. Now I'm getting my uncles 04' dakota with a 4.7 @64,000 miles. I use the truck to tow jet skis, sometimes on the beach in 4x4 and don't use it on the drag strip. (So no high rpm power adders wanted)

Just curious what to do with this one mod wise. Already going to put an electric fan on, and I have a superchips 3815 from the ram. I had a k&n fipk on my durango and hated it. Big noise maker and made less power, the stock intake made more power down low. On long highway trips it was obnoxious every time the truck downshifted. I'm thinking, high flow cat, longish(24 inch) magnaflow muffler, replace factory y pipe. Maybe a drop in filter but nothing that's going to be too loud.

I had a fast man ported TB on the Durango and it was noticeable but idk that it really gave any more low end torque. Seemed like crisper throttle response was about it. Is it worth it to go bigger like 70mm?

I see everyone jumped on these HO cams and 08-up intakes in the past few years. Do they give noticeable torque down low or is it just high rpm HP?

I had a set of bbk shorty headers on the ram that were nice. Just wondering if the 4.7 responds well to them.

I've done a lot of reading but many of the posts on here and dodge talk about the 4.7 are either outdated or all drag strip guys looking for peak HP and trucks that have a real small power band. I only want to add parts that keep the HP/torque curve nice and smooth rather than peaky at a certain rpm.

My main use for this truck is towing. I do a ride in Daytona and Virginia beach every year and tow 5-6 skis down so I'm looking for a little more power and possibly mpg gain.

Here's a pic of the ram from January when we went to Daytona. Got a whopping 11mpg both ways on the 1000 mile trip.

Pic of the ram leaving when it got sold.

My hitch hauler setup which I will probably use on the dakota instead of trailering.

Some pics of my hobby and the reason for having a truck

·
I hate you people.
2,831 Posts
Understand that the Ram and Dakota tongue weight limits are significantly different. You put a heavy jet ski on that hitch hauler and you could break something.
I have most of the mods you listed on my 03 QC. I have:
K&N FIPK
P&P 68mm TB
JBA shorty ceramic coated headers
2.25" custom compression bent Y-pipe
3" custom compression bent cat-back exhaust
All that, plus full synthetic fluids(Valvoline SynPower in the engine and Royal Purple for trans, TC, and axles), has helped in getting slightly better FE, both empty and towing.
While towing with all that, my truck pulled a 21ft. Hurricane deck boat from northwest Missouri to southern Missouri and got 10 mpg the whole way. Not bad if I say so myself.
To your questions: the 08 and up 4.7 intake manifold is designed more for upper RPM's, as some have said. Combined with what you listed, I believe you will maintain the lower end grunt while getting more mid-range passing power.
A couple things, though: Consider changing the axle gear ratios first before getting into mods. This help your truck pull a trailer better than it will, considering it comes with the standard 3.55 gear ratios.
Ditch the Superchips if you are going to change the cams and go with the 08 and up intake mani. The Superchips is only programmed with "canned" tunes that is programmed only for an intake and cat-back exhaust. SCT gives you the option of changing the programming to be able to handle the extra air without running pig-rich all the time and the 4.7 is not designed to run like that. It is going to cost a lot more than the Superchips but you will be happier and your truck will run better and longer.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used that hitch hauler when I had the durango as well. The skis I ride only weigh about 300-350lbs fully fueled up. I've seen guys tow trailers with heavier tongue weight in a smaller truck like this before, so the hitch hauler is not an issue for me. I had airbags in the back of the ram too which helped a lot with towing. I may add them to the dakota, but I'm going to try torsion keys and an add a leaf first.

I'll post pics of the trip I took to daytona with the durango towing. I had 2 inch T/S lift with 3 inch body lift on 12.50/33R16's and got 15-16 mpg towing 4 skis that year. That was with the stock gears and heavy nitto terra grapplers.

So I guess my plan should be:

HO cams
Bigger TB
08 intake mani
SCT
single 3 inch freer flowing exhaust
Electric fan

Are headers worth it or a waste of $$$ for the power return?

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Id skip out on the 08 manifold if you want to maintain low end torque. That intake will give you gains from about 3000 rpm +, but you will lose some low end. An SCT tune can give you some of that back by adding timing below 3000 rpm. Still, if you want get the maximum amount of low end, you should skip on the intake.

I highly recommend the h.o cams and an sct tune. The 3.92's will help as well.

I used that hitch hauler when I had the durango as well. The skis I ride only weigh about 300-350lbs fully fueled up. I've seen guys tow trailers with heavier tongue weight in a smaller truck like this before, so the hitch hauler is not an issue for me. I had airbags in the back of the ram too which helped a lot with towing. I may add them to the dakota, but I'm going to try torsion keys and an add a leaf first.

I'll post pics of the trip I took to daytona with the durango towing. I had 2 inch T/S lift with 3 inch body lift on 12.50/33R16's and got 15-16 mpg towing 4 skis that year. That was with the stock gears and heavy nitto terra grapplers.

So I guess my plan should be:

HO cams
Bigger TB
08 intake mani
SCT
single 3 inch freer flowing exhaust
Electric fan

Are headers worth it or a waste of $$$ for the power return?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Id skip out on the 08 manifold if you want to maintain low end torque. That intake will give you gains from about 3000 rpm +, but you will lose some low end. An SCT tune can give you some of that back by adding timing below 3000 rpm. Still, if you want get the maximum amount of low end, you should skip on the intake.

I highly recommend the h.o cams and an sct tune. The 3.92's will help as well.
I disagree on the 08 intake making less torque. When I had the 4.7 in my Ram and swapped to the 08 intake, I started pulling quicker 60' times. Also I just pulled the 08 intake off the same engine in my 03 Dakota and slapped the 03 intake on it, very noticeable difference in low-end torque and response as well as a noticeable loss of power over 3,500 rpm.

I had massive gains in power with the HO cams.

The biggest "torque loss" mod was my 218/224 cams but they not even a loss compared to the stock cams, but a loss compared to the HOs. Slight loss of low-end torque with the stock torque converter and 3.55 gears, but much more power over 3,500. The HO cams were noticeably more powerful than the stock cams even in the 1,500-3,500 rpm range, where the 218/224s pull like a stock cam from 1,500-3,500 then go ballistic to ~7,000 rpm.

Headers and a good Y-pipe are a very noticeable power gain.

This is my 03 Dakota with the following mods.

2006 Ram domed piston 4.7
HO Cams
JBA shorty headers
dual 2 1/2" catless exhaust
Superchips 3865 91 octane tuning
GM 28 lb/hr 4.8/5.3/LS1 injectors @ 60 psi
Split Second PSC-1

·
Craigslue
757 Posts
Only ones you'll find are used. No new HO available and no word if there ever will be again the last I heard anything.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damn. Guess I need to keep my eyes peeled for them then. Seems like those would be my best upgrade with some exhaust work and an SCT.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts