Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyone that has had experience with the 4.7 HO engine? I am currently rebuilding an engine and am looking for ideas on how to improve upon it. It’s an 02 4.7 ho going into an 01 Dodge Dakota. The Dakota has the 4.7 power tech engine. I will be removing that and replacing it with the 02 4.7 Jeep engine. Any thoughts? Thanks

·
I hate you people.
2,837 Posts
Same engine basically except for the cams, intake manifold, and knock sensors. The main thing to know is whether you have a JTEC or NGC controller to do this swap. If you have a 3 plug PCM, it is JTEC. If you have the 4 plug PCM, then it is NGC and tone wheels on the cam and crank have to be swapped in order to run the 4.7HO in an NGC controlled truck.

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
I have lots of thoughts. here is one-

If you have the crankshaft out... have a machine shop add a pin at the thin end of the woodruff key. Basically break the tab off and add a vertical pin. This tab has been known to stap off if the balancer bolt does not get torqued properly or loosens up... basically that thin tab is what drives the entire timing gear drive... The crank gear relies on friction pressure from the balancer to hold it from spinning... if its loose, that tab becomes the only source keeping the timing from being lost... its a ton of stress on a very thin tab... removing the tab and Adding a pin eliminates the possibility of loosing the timing reguardless of balancer bolt torque.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM PERFORMANCE

1 - 3 of 3 Posts