Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I spent the better part of Sunday installing my Gibson headers in the Dakota. Total install time was about 7 hours. Overall they were not too hard to install. The worse part was getting to a few of the bolts. Some of them are real tight against the headers and it is very difficult to get a wrench (or fingers) on them.
I really cant tell any dramatic power increase but I also really wasnt expecting much of one. As for the sound compared to the stock manifolds all I can say is "Wow". Im running the GSM true duals w/o cats. The Spintechs are pretty loud without the cats. And with the stock manifolds they sounded like a pair of glasspacks. But now the headers have really mellowed out their tone.
Anyone with a 4.7 whos thinking of getting a set of headers try JcWhitney. I got the Gibsons for $310 shipped!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Had my black chrome tailpipes installed today. I had these installed to come out on either side of my trailer hitch. Originally I had a 4" round set of pipes coming out under the hitch and it ended up being too low to the ground.

Next up on the mod list. My ASP underdrive pulley.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
look'n real good. great mods

·
I rage, therefore I am.
80 Posts
Very nice. Am I seeing things or do those headers actually bolt on to the original exhaust pipes? (I saw you said you have aftermarket exhaust, but it looked like it hooked to the stock manifolds.) If so, I've got to convince the wife that her D needs those parts! :mullet:

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
that'll be on my spring mod listing :mullet:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2Evil4U said:
Very nice. Am I seeing things or do those headers actually bolt on to the original exhaust pipes? (I saw you said you have aftermarket exhaust, but it looked like it hooked to the stock manifolds.) If so, I've got to convince the wife that her D needs those parts! :mullet:
Yeah I imagine they would hook to the stock pipes. So start talking her into some headers!!! :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DAKSPORT1PA said:
Did you do most of the work through the tire well? Thats just what it looks like. Was it a tough install or pretty easy?
Yep pretty much all the work was done thru the wheel well. Just pulled the inner fenders out and it was a piece of cake. Some of the bottom bolts you have to get at from underneath.And the passenger side upper rear bolt is a bear to get at. I spent 45minutes wrestling with that bolt. Finally I stuck a wad of paper into the collecter tubes so that when I would drop the bolt I wouldnt have to pull the header off again to fish it out from in between. Then I used a swivel ended socket to get to the bolt. Although some people I have seen used a bolt with an allen head on it. Total install time was about 7 hours. But this included stopping to take pics, watch football, and eat dinner. Straight thru working time figure to be 3-4 hours

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.