Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
i hate stupid old people
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking for some insight from people who have or had daks or durs with both engines. hows the difference in power and whats the difference in mpgs?
are the 4.7's as easy to work on as the 5.2? since my durango is totalled im looking for a new one and just want to know positives and negatives when compared to each other.

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
Been covered a hundred times.

Bottom line, if you want to go crazy with engine mods, the 318/360 is the way to go.

For the masses, the 4.7 is a much better idea. Great power, economy and a transmission that is easily twice as good. There's plenty of aftermarket for it as well, just not if you want 500hp.

·
Ugliest Truck on here!!!
8,951 Posts
in other words if you want power go with the 5.2 or better yet the 5.9

if you want to spend a lot to make a lot of noise and still not go fast get a 4.7

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
in other words if you want power go with the 5.2 or better yet the 5.9

if you want to spend a lot to make a lot of noise and still not go fast get a 4.7

There a quite a few 4.7L owners that would dissagree with this statement.

If your going to dig into the engine than the 5.2 is easier to work on. The hp/tq is roughly the same. the tq curve is a little different. I'm not sure on the mpg, but I'm going to guess they are about the same.

·
Go Rangers!!
3,159 Posts
There a quite a few 4.7L owners that would dissagree with this statement.

If your going to dig into the engine than the 5.2 is easier to work on. The hp/tq is roughly the same. the tq curve is a little different. I'm not sure on the mpg, but I'm going to guess they are about the same.
Ive had both, and if I had the chance to pick one of the two, it'd be the 4.7, parts are a little higher, but the market seems to getting better for them by the day, my butt dyno told me the 4.7 was better all around torque and hp, but Im not positive on the numbers, fuel economy, I was getting about 15.2 in my 5.2 according to the overhead console, in my 4.7 I may be getting about 16 so its about the same, but my 4.7 is also a little heavier since its a quad cab and my 5.2 was a Club Cab.

·
The Stig
448 Posts
The 4.7 545rfe combo was the REPLACEMENT for the 5.2. However it gets compared to the 5.9... about all the time... 5.2 isn't even in it's league, I've -easily- beaten a couple 5.2's in RC and CC form, and I'm a few hundred lbs heavier, and AWD. Anyone remember the 5 spd 4.7 vs a R/T arguement..?

The 4.7 is just as easy to work on as a 5.2/5.9, at least from a maintenance/routine standpoint.

EDIT: I haven't looked under a 4wd 5.9/5.2... but I hope you NEVER have to replace the oil pan on a 4.7.. that is a bitch.

·
keep your stick onthe ice
1,058 Posts
My old roomate had a 4.7 5speed basically the same truck as mine but newer. He also had 3.55 LSD to my higher 3.23s open. We had the same mods at that time Intake and Exhaust. He launched on me and could hold me back untill the shift into 3rd at which point I could put 3 lengths on him buy time to shift into 4th. I had a less weight but higher gears so I would say they run about the same. The 318 is cheaper and easier to find parts for if you want to do engine mods. If you plan to leave it stock(or close to) I don't see it as anything to worry about either way.

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
My old roomate had a 4.7 5speed basically the same truck as mine but newer. He also had 3.55 LSD to my higher 3.23s open. We had the same mods at that time Intake and Exhaust. He launched on me and could hold me back untill the shift into 3rd at which point I could put 3 lengths on him buy time to shift into 4th. I had a less weight but higher gears so I would say they run about the same. The 318 is cheaper and easier to find parts for if you want to do engine mods. If you plan to leave it stock(or close to) I don't see it as anything to worry about either way.
Keep in mind you are much lighter in your GenII than he was in his GenIII.

·
i hate stupid old people
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ive had both, and if I had the chance to pick one of the two, it'd be the 4.7, parts are a little higher, but the market seems to getting better for them by the day, my butt dyno told me the 4.7 was better all around torque and hp, but Im not positive on the numbers, fuel economy, I was getting about 15.2 in my 5.2 according to the overhead console, in my 4.7 I may be getting about 16 so its about the same, but my 4.7 is also a little heavier since its a quad cab and my 5.2 was a Club Cab.
this is the kind of info i was looking for, im looking at a bunch of durangos and i see a few of each motor option but the 5.9 isnt easy to find around here. its all 4.7 and 5.2 so i wanted some first hand comparisons on them. i loved my 5.2 and wouldnt hesitate to get another one but if the 4.7 is as good (or better in some opinions) i will definately have a look there too

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Been covered a hundred times.

Bottom line, if you want to go crazy with engine mods, the 318/360 is the way to go.

For the masses, the 4.7 is a much better idea. Great power, economy and a transmission that is easily twice as good. There's plenty of aftermarket for it as well, just not if you want 500hp.
Nope your wrong! 5.2s rule, and 4.7s drool!!

·
The Stig
448 Posts
I tow on regular with mine too. It might get 11-13mpg doing it, but it will tow a 5000lb 20ft bowrider and supplies like a champion.. No BS with the transmission doing it, shut OD off, and go.

·
Registered
386 Posts
As much as I like the 5.2, stock for stock, and everything else to be equal, such as gears, exhaust, tire size, both 5-speeds, both equally good drivers, my 4.7, 5-speed RC truck put over 3 lengths on a 5.2, 5-speed RC truck. The only mods on both trucks was a welded in Flowmaster. His truck is a 99, and mine is a 2000, so I don't even have best the 4.7 out there. After we got pulled over for doing this stupid race on the street, even the cop said "Well, I heard you won!" Between the other driver and his wife, vs me and my friend, he was also probably 100lbs lighter. Oh, and my truck was only about 2 weeks old, so not fully broken in yet.

With that being said, if you want to mod it and get to the magic 300 rwhp mark, it will be cheaper and easier to do with a 5.2 IMO.

Personally, I am a pushrod guy, so I do like the 5.2 and 5.9 engines better, but the 4.7 is also a great motor and that is why I still have my 4.7 truck for a daily driver. The RT is more of mod and go fast truck.

·
I hate you people.
2,831 Posts
I tow on regular with mine too. It might get 11-13mpg doing it, but it will tow a 5000lb 20ft bowrider and supplies like a champion.. No BS with the transmission doing it, shut OD off, and go.
Yep, same here. Just did a tow test with my 03 4x4 QC back in October bringing the family boat home from the lake, though my dad drove it because of my mom's health issues I had to drive the G6. Except for the 10 mpg he got towing, he said the same thing, not one single issue with it towing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts