Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference? I have seen this option at the parts store, and I just found it again at Summit Racing.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is another twist. I was doing a search on Summit by vehicle, and breaking down the options by choosing different subcategories.

You may have to try it to understand what I mean. Basically, you tell it the year, make and model. Then, you have different engines to choose from, number of door, transmisions, bed size, etc. If you used them all, it would show parts that were designed specifically for your vehicle.

As I was selecting subcategories to narrow my search, I selected that it was an automatic, 4 door, quad cab, V8. I had not yet specified which engine I had. As soon as I selected that it was a 4 door, the option for the 4.7 285 went away, leaving only the 287 ci as an option for the 4.7.

Is it a quad cab thing?

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope, I am positive they are both the for the Dakota. Both times, the engine choice has come up after year/make/model selections have been made.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The man is right though, I have seen the same thing on parts list, they are both dodge 4.7's, heres an example for you. Parts List just find Dodge Dakotas and you'll see.

·
Banned
8,203 Posts
BlackDak said:
Nope, I am positive they are both the for the Dakota. Both times, the engine choice has come up after year/make/model selections have been made.
It doesn't mean it's right...

Anthony said:
285 is just a mistake, our engine is and only is a 287
Exactly.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, it looks like the FSM only references the 287. I am still curious why the 285 keeps popping up, though. Maybe an Export thing or something?

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
End of the question of the ci to liter converson of a 4.7. The question of the origin of the mysterious 285ci is still out there, though.

·
Registered
332 Posts
BlackDak said:
End of the question of the ci to liter converson of a 4.7. The question of the origin of the mysterious 285ci is still out there, though.
Thats what I think, Im not denying that it isn't a 287, it is, there is no doubt it. But like the man asked before, where did 285 come in, you can go to various online parts stores and they will have that option for the 4.7 not to mention I have been asked when buying parts in person. Ya is easy to say that they have been misinformed and don't know any better but why does everyone come up with 285 and not 286 on their "ignorance"? Somewhere along the line there must have been something behind it??? Just my $0.02 worth.

·
Super Moderator
79,419 Posts
I say we put in a call to Mythbusters on Discovery. I'm sure they can figure it out. :rofl:

·
Forget milk, got beer?
76 Posts
Here is my $0.02 worth. It could be the difference in the 4.7L and the 4.7L HO. But then again I'm new to the whole Mopar scene.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts