Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone who has swapped out a ring and pinion on a dak or dur, how difficult is the job? Is it better to just take it to a shop and have them swap it? If so, what would a job like this cost for a 2001 dakota rear if I already have the parts?

·
Registered
285 Posts
i had my mech put i a 4.1 posi, 8 1/4 ,in a 2001 V6 3.9, stock engine, auto trans. my mech said the parts was NOT under warranty, cause they are not stock. but his labor is. the 4.1 gear works good on the street, in town only, no hiway driving. my MPG went UP 4 MPG. cause the trans goes into OD at 35 MPH, ie light driving.
i did a 0-60 MPH in 11.6 sec.

·
Old Fart
182 Posts
The 8.25" Chrysler rearend is actually one of the easier ones to set up because it uses spanner nuts to set the preload and backlash. The only "hard" part is setting the pinion depth.

If you're patient, have a few special tools, and can follow instructions, there's no reason you can't do it yourself.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I had a set of 3.92 gears with a mopar LSD unit installed in my '03 last summer. I paid $200 for the LSD and gears then another $650 to have a shop that deal with racing applications and custom setups to install the gears since I don't have any kind of knowledge or tools to do the job right.

The wife didn't see how this upgrade was worth it until one day I was leaving for a few hours and saw that both wheels left black marks on the ground and not just 1 lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts