Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas-
Can anyone tell me where to go about finding a 360 Magnum short block, BALANCED as a magnum, to work with a 46RH? And stroker cranks?
I'm interested in building a MPI 408 stroker using the 360 block, but not based on a MP 360 units sold balanced as an LA smallblock.

Cheers.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Manning said:
Hey fellas-
Can anyone tell me where to go about finding a 360 Magnum short block, BALANCED as a magnum, to work with a 46RH? And stroker cranks?
I'm interested in building a MPI 408 stroker using the 360 block, but not based on a MP 360 units sold balanced as an LA smallblock.

Cheers.

I would try Hughes for the block. I’m not sure what your after with the LA block. The only other block I know of is the A block but Mopar did not build the A block in the 360. Hughes sells the stroker complete or the parts to build one.

Basically it’s a 360 bored 30 over with the stroker crank, rods and pistons.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Im on the hunt for a bare 360 block to make a 408 myself (anyone know where used/new bare blocks are sold), If you realize how much money hughes is you can always turn to KRC performance to get one of there 408 stroker kits (balanced), or if want to go even cheaper run diamond racing 30 over pistons and then snag the 4.00" stroke crank from jegs and the rods are left up to you. A machine shop can always balance an engine for about the price difference between a balanced/unbalanced kit (which I would recommend not getting a machine shop to balance a pre balanced motor like that).

·
Registered
374 Posts
my apologies, I misworded that, if you wanted a balanced 408 kit specifically for the magnum KRC has it for little more. Otherwise the Hughes kit calls for slight notching for the rods to clear the bottom of the cylinder bore.

·
Registered
504 Posts
studlybilly said:
Im on the hunt for a bare 360 block to make a 408 myself (anyone know where used/new bare blocks are sold), If you realize how much money hughes is you can always turn to KRC performance to get one of there 408 stroker kits (balanced), or if want to go even cheaper run diamond racing 30 over pistons and then snag the 4.00" stroke crank from jegs and the rods are left up to you. A machine shop can always balance an engine for about the price difference between a balanced/unbalanced kit (which I would recommend not getting a machine shop to balance a pre balanced motor like that).

I would start with calling a Dodge dealer. You can order crate motors from them either short or fully built. You might have a hard time finding just a bare block since production stopped on the 360 in late 2002. A 360 magnum short block with 10.5:1 pistons costs about $1,200. A complete engine starts at $3,000 and goes up to around $6,000.

You might also look at some of the junk yards. A lot of the Rams came with 360s.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts