Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey,
I just installed a 360Airintakez PowerShot into my 4.7L '03 D last weekend. I have a few comments...

First with the good news. There is a noticeable increase in throttle response and power from a standing start which is good. Its too early to gauge what my MPG changes are (the main reason for buying it).

And now the bad news: the install was not very simple.

First: I had to cut down one of the rubber tubes it came with to 2" (from 2.5") otherwise the intake tube coming out of the throttle body would hit the A/C hard lines ontop of the engine.

Second: I also had to bend the metal bracket holding the cruise control module (I think thats what it is) to the fender. Otherwise the air filter would be rubbing up against it (still is, but not as much).

Third: even with all that other mods, the 9" air filter is basically crammed into the engine bay. I had to pretty much insert most of the intake tube inside the filter to get it to fit at all.

Fourth: There is no room for the heat shield. None. The engine side of the air intake is hitting one of the insolated A/C hardlines on the side of the engine.

It shouldn't be that hard, or require that much effort/modification. Or at least it should be in the install instructions, not leaving it up to the installer to figure it out.

All in all, if the MPG improves, then it will be worth it. If not, the intake is a $170 P.O.S. :rant:

·
Registered
155 Posts

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did contact them. Not a whole lot of help. Joe said that because I had the '03 4.7, I had to modify the kit he sent me (which was for the 00-02 4.7L models) and cut down one of the rubber tubes from 2.5" to 2". Joe also said, in a different email made before my purchase, that I needed to move the cruise control module, but didn't specify where to move it. I couldn't find a good location, so i ended up bending the bracket as much as I could. Still a very very tight fit...

G

·
Petrock, I also purchased an intake for an O3'4.7, went to install and ran into all of the same problems that you did. At one point I was able to get it all to fit but when I went to put in the IAT sensor it didnt reach the pre drilled hole and you are right there is no room for the heat shield. Wasnt real sure if the silicone coupling was going to hold on the TB. I also wasnt able to get the intake to clear the AC lines. Not sure if it is going to stay on or not.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Joe from 360 sent me an email saying that he is going to get a new intake pipe for me that has a more drastic bend to it (so it clears the A/C lines and hopefully gives me more clearance everywhere else). I'm waiting to hear from him when he gets it to send to me or whatever he plans on doing...

At least now I know I'm not the only one having these problems...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Looks better? is't K&N plastic? I personaly love the way the 360 looks with all the colors to pick from.

·
Registered
243 Posts
360 Intakez

I have also installed a 4.7 360 Air Intake. I didn't have a any problems as mentioned above, well I did have to shorten that one hose, but it is an aftermarket product, and nothing ever fits true and true. Don't get me wrong, I understand about having to do so much to get it to fit.

Later,

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the main problem is that Dodge changed the layout of the engine bay in the '03 4.7's just enough to make the '99-02 intake kit not fit properly anymore.

I'm going to be taking some pictures of the intake installed in my truck and sending them to Joe so he can see what I'm talking about. I'll post them here as well... If I can figure out how to do it...

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
I hope he can get those pictures, because I have an 03 4.7 as well, and I don't wanna have to be moving crap everywhere or anything. I want it to work damnit!

Paul

1 - 12 of 12 Posts