Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody running 33x12.5x15 tires on their stock rims? Just curious as to see if they fit on the rims. Also what modifications did you to anything to make them fit?

·
Registered
42 Posts
From what I've seen on this forum u can with a 2" t/s and 3" body lift. But will still rub some with factory offset wheels. There's a big write up about trimming to stop the rubbing though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thank you. I already have the 2" t/s lift but i really don't want to do a body lift. Do you know where i can find this write up?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Im glad rook87 posted it, I couldn't find it...but they are 285's which aren't quite as wide as 12.50's. The 12.50's wont get as wide as if they were on a 10" wheel, kinda balloon to fit wheel, but still considerably wider than 10.50's. U might go with a 32 11.50 or a 33x10.50. I doubt they'd rub much at all with the t/s. However my 31's have rubbed some on the frame at full turn.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I am running 33x12.5x15 goodyear duratracs on my 99' durango with just a 2" T/S lift and lots of frame rubbing on the inside of the front tires at like 3/4 lock while turning. No rubbing while sitting at idle but once you start moving its an issue, just an fyi to be prepared if you go that route. I cant afford a P/A lift and really don't want one anyways, I like the way my trucks looks as is so I just plan my turns and parking etc. and got used to it.

32x11.5x15 would be a better option if you can find them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
So in that case its not like the body lift would help anyway, not if they're rubbing the frame. That's where the offset wheels come in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Guys,

I just had 33x12.5r15's fitted (Goodyear Wrangler Duratrack's) NO rubbing issues EXCEPT full lock left hand down IN REVERSE. Not bad for a stock truck. I only wound the Torsion Bars up 1-1/2"s (leveled it out).

Tyres are great, little noise and that was coming from radials.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i dont understand how some durangos can fit 33x12.5 and some cant. it makes not sense to me. i really want to run 33x12.5 cause they would look great with my lift but my 31x10.5 rub full lock on both sides. i might end up doing some nice spacers or offset rims.

·
Mopar FTW
535 Posts
i dont understand how some durangos can fit 33x12.5 and some cant. it makes not sense to me. i really want to run 33x12.5 cause they would look great with my lift but my 31x10.5 rub full lock on both sides. i might end up doing some nice spacers or offset rims.
It has to do with the front wheel alignment and the position of the upper control arms. It takes some time to get it all set and not rub. I now have 33s (am going to update my thread soon), no BL and my axle flip/front lift and my stock wheels are spaced differently than stock, and it's all good!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya i would like to read how to do that alignment stuff to get them not to rub man! How did you space your stock wheels differently?

Also on another note i was looking around and came across a Durango with 35's and nothing but and body lift and different rims! is this even possible? if so i might want to do that!

·
Registered
10 Posts
some how I got luck with no alignment issues. as I said only had to do a T/B lift but that was more for looks than anything:)

It has to do with the front wheel alignment and the position of the upper control arms. It takes some time to get it all set and not rub. I now have 33s (am going to update my thread soon), no BL and my axle flip/front lift and my stock wheels are spaced differently than stock, and it's all good!

Attachments

·
The BIG "D"
5 Posts
?? Stock 15x8 rims 33x12.50 tires ?? Low Air Pressure ??

I searched and searched and thought to have came across the right thread to see if 33x12.50's fit the stock D 15x8's Dick Cepek web page says the appropriate fit is an 8.5"-11" wide wheel and I do but don't want to change wheels. I do use my unit for off road trail riding in east Tennessee where it is mountainous and sticky muddy, more than rocky, so I have always liked tall and skinny for digging, and 15" wheels for tire flex.. 44x12.50 or 38x10.50.. so with the D I'd thought to go to a 16x8 and stick to a 285x75 - 33x10.50-16, and I'm not so much going for looks, I'm going for utility. So I have decided to keep what I have, the stock 15x8 split spokes (so I don't just ruin a brand new set of wheels in the woods), but I don't know if I can run the Dick Cepek Mud Country 33x12.50-15. Will it mount to the 8" wheel?? Will it be more liable to come off the bead at low pressure off road??

I've already done the T/S, have my cc# on file at TireRack.com with the 33" Dicks in my shopping cart, and my saw sharp and ready to trim the lower inside of my front bumper, and wheel well. Winch/Trail bumpers are soon to follow. All I need to get to the next step is certain assurance the 12.50s can fit with no issues.

·
145 DB Club
580 Posts
3" body lift with 33x12.50r15 rubs on the frame at full lock, BUT I have had the suspension flexed out with no rubbing on bumpers or fenders.....I now run a 305/75/r16 witch in my opinion looks bigger and taller than the 33 where and they rub on my bumper ever so slightly when its flexed out.....I'm upgrading eventually to cranked torsion bars and 35's this of course requires slight trimming but it can be done....my father in-law owns his own tire shop and I have talked to him and cranking torsion bars alignments and .etc shouldn't be a huge issue BUT it really depends if the person who does the work actually knows what they are doing **also you can space your stock rims to eliminate frame rub with of course wheel spacers BUT than you run the risk of bumper rub....TopGearMopar wouldn't run into such issues as he runs an aftermarket front bumper that allows much more tire clearance**

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I assume a 1 inch wheel spacer would be enough for 33x12.5x15's on my 2000 Dakota ?????

·
Registered
42 Posts
I guess you could, but I don't like spacers, they're nothing but trouble. They work loose, put added stress on an already weak front end set up and they're expensive. Wider outset wheels will do the same thing, but at least they'll stay tight on the hub.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts