Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it possible? I asked one of the mechanics at work that i would need a wider rim to fit the tire. Im thinking he was talking about 33x12.5 or what ever.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Your mechanic buddy has his head up his azz
a 12 inch tire has a accepted rim width of 8-10 inches
First pic is after a 3 inch BL the tires are 33 MTs the second pic is before the lift with 33 ATs

·
The Troll Behind The Dog
8,358 Posts
youd be fine I had mine that way before I purchased the Steelies

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not to put any one down here but I trust him w/ these kind of things until proven otherwise. and He definitely knows his shit. hell he gonna help me w/ the body lift when I get it.

you guys definitely proved him wrong!! thank you.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
^How was the clearance on those ATs without the lift?
I was shocked but the only time it rubbed was when I really really flexed the suspension. the front actually rubbed less than the back. BUt Im glad i put the BL on simply to keep the tires away from the body sheet metal. if youre gonan run 33s then you shoudl get a BL unless youre gonna stick to streets and gravel roads then yu can run 33s. If youre gonna flex the suspension off road then lift the truck.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
33's will fit, but without a body lift your clearance will be super tight. I recently (within the last 2 weeks) tried putting 33's on mine, but because my front end has so much drop due to the weight of my winch and pushbar, they will not work. In a straight line they looked awsome, but the rub and bind on the wheel well and would require trimming the front valance.

The shop that I deal with for tires I also recommended going with a wider wheel if I install 33's. Though they fit on stockers, they will work better on something a little wider.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
33's will fit, but without a body lift your clearance will be super tight. I recently (within the last 2 weeks) tried putting 33's on mine, but because my front end has so much drop due to the weight of my winch and pushbar, they will not work. In a straight line they looked awsome, but the rub and bind on the wheel well and would require trimming the front valance.

The shop that I deal with for tires I also recommended going with a wider wheel if I install 33's. Though they fit on stockers, they will work better on something a little wider.
You probably need to crank the t bars up a little bit to compensate for the additional front end weight. I had mine on and they work great witht he stock rims. and i have a brush guard and winch also and at stock height all I had to do is trim about 1 inch of plastic on the back of the inner fenderwell spalsh shield and jsut a tad on the front air dam.. Wider wheel woudl be a 15x10 and that will wear out your bearings faster. Stick to a 8 inch wheel. IF you use any wheel that does not have a factory offset and backspacing you will NEED a body lift. i had a set of aftermarket rims and that was why i had to lift the truck to run those rims. I ended up not liking the rims then liking them then not liking then so I sold them and used my stockers.
Rob

·
Up then Down then Up then
3,188 Posts
Email xlofntax or something like that-he's a member here and works for stylin- he got me the lowest price around- about $20 less that what was quoted above.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
As long as you have the stock 8" wide wheels you will be fine. I do recomend some form of lift to make it look right.

·
Registered
2 Posts
First pic is after a 3 inch BL the tires are 33 MTs the second pic is before the lift with 33 ATs

[/QUOTE]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts