Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 4X4 SLT Durango, that only recently crossed the 30,000 mile mark.

I recently rec'd a flyer in the mail from my dealer (OC Dodge) advertising a "major 30,000 mile service" for $234.95. I called to inquire and they told me my vehicle is a 4X4 and the proper service would be more like $750.00!! (which included a lot of things NOT listed in the service manual like cleaning injectors, fuel filter, synth diff fluid etc etc).

What do people pay for 30,000 mile service? What is really required?

My vehicle is out of warranty at this point, so does it matter if I do dealer servicings or not? Can anyone recommend a good independent shop in my area (Orange County California)? Any info much appreciated.

Many thanks!!!!

G

·
That's pretty normal dealer BS. First off they don't change the fuel filter as it's located in the gas tank and a PIA to change. It also has no servicable change schedule. Should last the life of the vehicle. You don't ever need to clean fuel injectors unless you ran some very bad gas. Fuel injector design and the additives they put in gas these days keep them clean. Even so, I run a bottle of injector cleaner once a year (Red Line SR-1) to make sure.

With OBDII computer controlled engines all you really need to do at 30K is change the spark plugs, inspect and, or clean the IAC (idle air controller) on the throttle body (tends to collect carbon deposits), replace the distributer cap & rotor (not needed with a 4.7L as it has individual coil packs for each cylinder), and clean or replace the PCV valve. The "tune up" takes a couple of hours and maybe $50 in parts to do.

Fluids are on a different schedule. I follow schedule "B" in the owners manual for the most part. The motor uses 10W-30 synthetic oil that I change about every 7,500 miles or six months. The differencials and transfer case are changed every 12K miles. Transmission is flushed and changed every 36K with factory ATF+4 fluid (semi-synthetic.) Radiator is flushed and re-filled every 50K miles. Anyway, you get the picture. The dealer upsells to make more money off unsuspecting consumers. Happens everyday.

You don't need to go to a dealer to do this stuff. It's a DIY thing or have any trusted mechanic do them for you.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Totally agree with Bamboo!!!

The dealership charges too much for simple work. If you are slightly mechanically inclined all the work you can do yourself. I have a 2003 D. My second one. The first was a 2000. I do just about all of my own work. Weather permitting or laziness syndrome :jester: . I would recommend you get a shop manual. i still use my old one and from reading through that I learned just how easy it is to work on these things!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Bamboo said:
With OBDII computer controlled engines all you really need to do at 30K is change the spark plugs, inspect and, or clean the IAC (idle air controller) on the throttle body (tends to collect carbon deposits), replace the distributer cap & rotor (not needed with a 4.7L as it has individual coil packs for each cylinder), and clean or replace the PCV valve. The "tune up" takes a couple of hours and maybe $50 in parts to do.

Fluids are on a different schedule. I follow schedule "B" in the owners manual for the most part. The motor uses 10W-30 synthetic oil that I change about every 7,500 miles or six months. The differencials and transfer case are changed every 12K miles. Transmission is flushed and changed every 36K with factory ATF+4 fluid (semi-synthetic.) Radiator is flushed and re-filled every 50K miles. Anyway, you get the picture.
So, with my 5.9L, would I change the distributor cap and rotor?

Thanks

·
Home Owner....
1,722 Posts
en_shua said:
So, with my 5.9L, would I change the distributor cap and rotor?

Thanks
yap, go to your local NAPA and grab a cap, rotor, plugs, Taylor or MSD wires, good quality synthetic oil and a filter.

then when you are done, go to *reputable* tranny shop and have your fluid/filter changed and if they can your xfer case oil.

do you know a *reputable* front end shop? have your alignment checked as well. front end should be aligned at least once a year or if you are like us here in SD (crappy roads) two or more times a year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.