Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Monkey see, Monkey do
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody with a R/T do this kind of drop.or can someone post some good side pics of a truck that is lowered...3/3 i think thats what it would be.

thanks
-bryan

M

·
0 Posts
I could be wrong but I don't think that's right.

The R/T's are 1" lower "overall" than other Daks.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong cause I could be. :help:

So you should go 2/3 or 3/4 I believe.

But like I said, ..................

·
Drop and destroy!!
404 Posts
:help: Yeah, your'e right Magnum. A 3/3 drop on a R/T Dakota would be excessive considering that it's already lower by 1" all round compared to a standard Dakota. What would tranlate into a 4" drop out front for a stock height regular Dakota which is way too much especially if your'e gonna run stock height rubber. Hell, a 4" drop out front is a lot even if you had lower profile rubber.

Don't ruin the ride and handling characteristics of your R/T by going with a drop that low. :rant:

·
Monkey see, Monkey do
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea your right.i just had a brain fart when i posted that.

i would really like to do a 3/5 drop :drool:

but i might have to settle with a 2/3 right now.just depends on how money is in june :huh:

·
Monkey see, Monkey do
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alta Boy said:
:help: Yeah, your'e right Magnum. A 3/3 drop on a R/T Dakota would be excessive considering that it's already lower by 1" all round compared to a standard Dakota. What would tranlate into a 4" drop out front for a stock height regular Dakota which is way too much especially if your'e gonna run stock height rubber. Hell, a 4" drop out front is a lot even if you had lower profile rubber.

Don't ruin the ride and handling characteristics of your R/T by going with a drop that low. :rant:
i know about tire size and stuff....praying for some rims for my b-day...i like low level trucks....i'm a minitrucker at heart...just blessed with a R/T.i've seen pics of R/Ts with 2/3 drops and they dont look low enough for me.there is a guy in town with a R/T that has a 4/6.

and i CAN'T afford a Hotckhis kit.......

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
cupholder said:
anybody with a R/T do this kind of drop.or can someone post some good side pics of a truck that is lowered...3/3 i think thats what it would be.

thanks
-bryan
Unless the coils are meant to drop an R/T by 3" it will only drop it 2" more, not 4" total.

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
cupholder said:

thanks
-bryan

If you go with 3" coils, it will lower your truck about 2" more (r/t's use springs for the 1" drop) If you add a 2" block to the rear it would be a 3" drop b/c you would still have the R/T leaf springs. Therefore you'd have a 3/3 drop, from a standard suspension dakota and a 2/3 from a R/T point of view. So unless you want your truck to have some rake to the front, you'd have to get some leaf spring hangers.

·
Monkey see, Monkey do
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how much of a rake will a 2/3 give my truck.

and yes i know already about the R/Ts suspension....and i know i will need a new set of drop shocks.going to get some from western chassis.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
It should giv you just about the same amount of rake that you got now. i think some rake looks good on a sport truck.

R

·
0 Posts
Here are two pics of my R/T with the DJM 2/3 drop just to give you an idea of what it looks like. I used the DJM 2" C-Arms and DJM 3" Blocks. I also had to put a shorter bumpstop on the back, because the axle tube was on the stock bumpstop. The truck still rides like a 'Lil Red Wagon though. But I think its worth it. If you try to drop the back of an R/T anymore than 3" inches than you are going to have to install a C-notch in your frame. The first pic is with the stock wheels and 255/55-17 tires. The second pic is with a set of 17 inch Billet Specialties Wheels with 255/45-17 and 315/35-17 tires. Hope these help out some.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts