Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody

I own a 2001 dodge dakota 3.9L 2WD 5speed manual (the NV3500 I believe)
I found a 2000 5.2L 2WD dakota engine automatic near my city for 800$.

I'd like to use that engine for the swap. It comes with the ECM and the harness.

I read some furoms about the swap and I saw its a pretty easy swap. Apearently, the engine mounts are the same and the transmission bolts on.

My concerns are that mine is a 2001 and the engine will be a 2000. Is the electrical compatible? I know a bunch of stuff is different between the 2001 and the 2000. All the interior is different and it scares me a little bit.

My other concerns are about the flywheel. Can I just take my 3.9 flywheel and put it on the 5.2? If not, where can I find one?

I heard that I have to change de fan shround too.

So with all these informations, do you think that this swap is possible?
What do I need to know?
What parts that I need?

Thank you

·
"][" {[]} {[]} ][_ 
17,338 Posts
Use a 2001 rt engine harness or add wiring for 2 extra injectors.

The engine will go in. Trouble is the computer. There were no 5.2 manuals in 2000 and up trucks. Gonna have to figure the computer out. Contact flyinryan on the forums. He has got it working for the 2001 trucks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok for the injectors,

But about the computer, can I use one from a 2001 5.2L automatic ?

and about the flywheel, it has to be before 2000 if I understand? because you say 2000 and up are only automatic

and the crank sensor, I take it from what car? Can't use my 3.9 ?

·
"][" {[]} {[]} ][_ 
17,338 Posts
There are no 5.2 engine period from 2000 on up in dakotas they went to 4.7s.

As long as the flywheel is from a manual magnum 5.2 it will work. They are the same no matter the year.

V6 and 8 crank sensors are different manual vs auto sensors are also different.

·
"][" {[]} {[]} ][_ 
17,338 Posts
The ram computer will not work correctly in a Dakota.

Like said I would grab a 2001 Dakota r/t computer and contact flyinryan first.. actually I'd contact him before buying parts.

·
Registered
69 Posts
There are no 5.2 engine period from 2000 on up in dakotas they went to 4.7s.

As long as the flywheel is from a manual magnum 5.2 it will work. They are the same no matter the year.

V6 and 8 crank sensors are different manual vs auto sensors are also different.
they are the same. running the v6 sensor for a year now after my swap

·
Registered
69 Posts
The ram computer will not work correctly in a Dakota.

Like said I would grab a 2001 Dakota r/t computer and contact flyinryan first.. actually I'd contact him before buying parts.
Yes and no. brake and abs light will come on after 20mph. 5.2/5.9 pcm will run the the engine. it will be hit and miss as far as what lights come on the display. try to get cab specific pcm (i.e. club cab, extended, or regular cab). the other thing to consider is 2w abs option and 4w abs option. that will also cause the brake and abs light to come on. most are all 2w abs standard but some upgraded options to the 4w abs package. check out my build specs for more specifics as I just done this swap last November.
http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165070

·
"][" {[]} {[]} ][_ 
17,338 Posts
2 Wabs vs 4 makes no difference. I am running a 2 wheel pcm on my 4wabs truck. The CAB is separate from engine pcm.

A ram did not come with an efan so no luck there. No 5.2 Dakotas after 99 so you are stuck with an rt pcm.

When I bought my first crank sensor for my manual swap I was told they were different 6 vs 8 good tho know for sure.

·
Registered
69 Posts
2 Wabs vs 4 makes no difference. I am running a 2 wheel pcm on my 4wabs truck. The CAB is separate from engine pcm.

A ram did not come with an efan so no luck there. No 5.2 Dakotas after 99 so you are stuck with an rt pcm.

When I bought my first crank sensor for my manual swap I was told they were different 6 vs 8 good tho know for sure.
I'm running a 2000 R/T pcm that is 4wABS and my lights are on now. The first PCM I had that got fried by a stupid Hypertech crap hand-held programmer was from a 2wABS truck and no lights. So guess it's hit and miss....

·
Gen I FTW
6,010 Posts
Subscribed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
is the oil pan in the 5.2 1500 truck the same at the 5.2 dakota?
No it is not. You need p/n CRP25A made by spectre unless you feel like paying for moroso or other performance pan. Advanced auto usually has them in stock and you can use their great online promo codes.

·
Registered
138 Posts
If early & lake Daks use the same oil pans (I have no idea), then I recall a B-van pan will work.

You DO need a V8 fan shroud.

·
Registered
984 Posts
So mine is a 2000 QC that means I need a 5.2 from what years? I know I would need a 2000+ harness and pcm. Will it bolt up and hold to my 5 speed? I was told my 5 speed is basically the same as the 4.7 tranny.

·
Registered
240 Posts
5.2s were in Ram Vans and Rams in '00, '01, and '02 for sure. They weren't in Dakotas or Durangos after '99. 5.2 Magnum any years '92-'02 should work, but '98 and '99 should have almost no plugs changed and basically identical wiring. A 5.2 will run with a 5.9 PCM, and the 5.9's the only way to get a 2000 LA Magnum V8 PCM and wiring for a Dakota or Durango, however they were all autos.

The 3.9 trans is closer to the 5.2 trans than the 4.7 trans is. The trans wasn't much different when used in 4x4 5.2 Rams. The bellhousing pattern is identical 3.9 and 5.2, not sure if the flywheel's different- but they have the same neutral balance as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi guys, soo sorry for my inactivity...

Here's where I am at right now.

I finally did my swap and everything went very smooth

Started with a 2001 Dakota 3.9L with the NV3500

I swaped for a 5.9L engine that I bought with a dead #8 piston.
Did a 0.020" oversize and did a full rebuilt on the block.

I kept my transmission from my 3.9L NV3500

Here was my parts/Mod list list:
-Remove fan shroud
-Delete thermostatic fan
-Add 2 wires from PCM for #7 and #8 injectors
-Ebay Headers
-Clutch Kit + Flywheel from a 1998 dodge Ram 1500 5.9L
-Pilot bushing + sleeve from a 1998 dodge Ram 1500 5.9L
-Cut about 3 inches upper and lower radiator hose
-replaced heater core hose
-Bought a 2001 dodge dakota 4x4 Auto ecm (heres my problem i'll explain)

And thats it for the parts list.. I kept all my sensors from the V6. No issues for the CKP since it was already coming from a manual truck...

And there we go...

Everything runs nice no problem with the motor and not even to start it...

The F** computer drives me sick... I'll post a new thread about that to ask help...
Since its a automatic computer, it needs to read pressure from transmission but now, it cuts the injection on heavy acceleration near 2500 rpm..
I found that if I ground the P/N switch, I do not have this symptom anymore BUT it puts the rev limiter at 4500 rpm and the truck feels a bit lazy all the time...

Anyway...just wanted to give news...I'll post a thread for the parts list/swap progression and another one about the computer...

·
Registered
96 Posts
my buddy is having this same problem with his dakota after switching to a hydraulic trans. we put my manual pcm in and it runs care free no rev limiter. did you figure out how to fix this??

1 - 20 of 24 Posts