Votes: 1 11.1%
  • 3.55 disc 85k miles

Votes: 8 88.9%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
elpoepdiputskcuf
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im gettin a 9.25 rear from work with LSD. i can get one with 3.55 and disc brakes or 3.92 w/ drums. which would u guys choose. the 3.55 has under 90k miles and the 3.92 has about 130k.

·
PRAISE THE LOWERED
2,398 Posts
To me this is a no brainer disc brakes and lower mileage, I'd go with the 3.55.

but then again I bought a high mileage 3.92 w/drums :jester: Not sure what year your getting, but my 3.92 was off an 2003 making a disc swap very easy.

Nevermind I take it these axles are coming off a gen2.

·
Don't be "That Guy"
7,400 Posts
To me this is a no brainer disc brakes and lower mileage, I'd go with the 3.55.

but then again I bought a high mileage 3.92 w/drums :jester: Not sure what year your getting, but my 3.92 was off an 2003 making a disc swap very easy.

Nevermind I take it these axles are coming off a gen2.
I don't think Gen IIs had rear disc, probably a newer axle from an 03 or 04 truck to put under his Gen II.

power levels? how do you drive it? track time?

the drums will work fine if you keep them adjusted properly, but will tend to fade if you auto-x it and push them hard, but will be fine for normal street driving.

I'd go for the 3.92s if I were you. just inspect it well.

or, go for the 3.55s and swap out the ring and pinion.

·
elpoepdiputskcuf
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
forgot to mention. the disc rear is under a durango which means no shock mounts. thats kinda cool cuz i wont have to cut any, just weld em where i need em.

the 3.9 rear end was in a kota w/ a 4.7 and a 5spd. it also had drilled front rotors and a flowmaster on it, leading me to believe it was prolly driven harder than the one in the durango. it only worries me cuz ive heard about the limited slip clutches wearing out around 70k miles.

·
elpoepdiputskcuf
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
first off, i HATE doing drum brakes. LOL
and how many Gen IIs have u guys seen w/ rear disc? none from the factory.
dont plan on massive power levels, so the 3.92s would help. hell, i was contimplating putting 4.11s and a locker in my 8.25, but i figured i might as well take advantage of workin at a junkyard. i already got me a 5.9 put aside for $200. and this swap will take some more work on my part, but will also save some cash. i just cant get over the coolness of a low budget rear disc swap.

·
My horns hold up my halo!
5,992 Posts
3.55 with the disk.... easy to work on. and better stopping power.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I'd go with the discs too. Less mileage and as stated, better stopping, such as if you are gonna have a little extra power. Drums are in a pain in the ass, discs are better.:)

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I did a SSBC rear disc conversion on my '01 a few years ago, and was surprised that the discs made a bigger :woot: difference than I thought they would.
You can always use lower profile/ diameter tires to lower the effective gear ratio anyway.

·
elpoepdiputskcuf
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
damn, 8 votes. all for disc. cant say im surprised.
when i snag the rear im gonna save all the brake lines on it of course, but can i screw my line from my truck to the line on the rear? and be good like that? how about abs. are the plugs the same or can i mount my abs sensor in the 9.25? ABS working is my biggest concern.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts