Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2001 single cab Dodge Dakota Slt with the 3.9, 42re, and 8.25 rear. My plan is to swap in a blueprint cratemotor 408 Stroker pushing around 450hp and 500lbs/ft of torque. I'm rebuilding the 42re and 8.25 to handle the power for added convenience. I was wondering if

A. the 42re would bolt up directly to the 408 since it's based off the 360/5.9
B. Will a 42re 2500stall converter work with the 408
C. Do I need to change the flexplate
D. Will gauge cluster, radio, pcm, etc still work since I'm switching to a Holly Sniper EFI system.

Plus any other tips you may have to help this go along smooth thank you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It would be cheaper to build the 408 yourself, just make sure you get the stroker pistons. I'm doing the same thing with my 98 durango. You will want to swap the drums to disk due to the added power and weight. Its a easy conversion process. It took me like 3 days while working 10 hours a day by myself on the conversion. The flex plate is the same on the 3.9 and 5.2, they are internally balanced, The 5.9 is externally balanced. If its a good crate engine you shouldn't have to swap the flex plate, as long as its internally balanced. To be honest I don't know about the cluster part, I'm using the factory wiring with bigger injectors and pump so all of mine will work like stock. You will need to get the ecm programmed. I do all my own programming so I'm not worried about that part. You might be better off running a stand alone unit and just running the bcm since your changing everything. The 42RE is not the strongest transmission out there. Its kinda like the bottom of the barrel transmission. Over the course of the last 10 years I have had my durango, I have learned a lot about dodge transmissions. You will want to go with at least a 44RE or a 46RE.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I agree with ( long live dodge) about the engine and transmission work, he is spot on.
But also not waste the time rebuilding an 8.25 diff. with these up grades. I would
rebuild a 9.25 instead, heavier duty and last longer.
Also you will have to change front suspension to hold extra weight.
Good Luck daddyododge

1 - 3 of 3 Posts