Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm going to swap out. I bought my 2000 3.9 QC 2wd, and am going to swap for a 5.2 from a 2000 durango. I am getting the engine, trans, basically everything but the wiring harness (its fucked up), alternator bracket (sold) and power steering pump (sold). Would I be able to use these things from my 3.9? Would I need to re-yolk the driveshaft? or is the 42re and 44re the same? Basically I want to know what I need to make this work out. Do I need the radiator? I havent done an engine swap before but Iv got a friend helping me do it. I just want to make sure I get all the parts I need from the donor vehicle, and whatever extra I might need to get it all done as easily as possible. I was going for a hemi swap in this truck, but I came across a good deal and that much fab is out of my skill range, for now. Any info on exhaust? Any info on anything at all? Tips, suggestions, its all welcome.

·
"][" {[]} {[]} ][_ 
17,338 Posts
No reyoke, trans will probably last, there is probably someone on here to add the wiring for the 2 injectors on the site. Almost a bolt in upgrade.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the other thing I was thinking was, that its going to be a few weeks before I put the engine in, anyone have any suggestions on simple, inexpensive things I should do to the engine while I'v got it on a stand? I was thinking; plugs, wires, cap, rotor, oil pan gasket, rear main seal, intake manifold porting, new tb if I can get one from dwight, and headers if I can afford. any other ideas?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
really guys? 2 responses? i know you there are some very knowledgable people here. anyone else interested in puttin in their .02?

·
Shannon Huffman
484 Posts
All the external equipment from the front of your 3.9 will work on the 5.2 (alternator bracket, pwr.steering pump, belts, pullies, a/c, etc...)

You'll need the PCM from the 5.2 donor, noticed you didn't have that listed.

Change the thermostat while the engine is out, not hard to do with it in the truck but easier when it's sitting in the garage floor.

You might want to wait til you have the engine in before putting on a new dist.cap ...... you run the risk of bumping it on the firewall when lowering the new engine in and you might crack a brand new cap. Leave the old one on until the new engine is bolted in place.

Your 3.9's radiator is the same as the one's used on 2000 V8's so you can keep it. Just remove the shroud because it's too long and will hit the belt/pullies. Just unbolt it from the radiator/windshield washer reservoir and toss it..

I just did a 5.9 swap from a wrecked 99 R/T into a 2000 SLT 3.9 body.
Good luck with your swap, you won't regret it.

·
Shannon Huffman
484 Posts
Oh yeah ...... get the 5.2 motor mounts if they are in decent shape ..... they are not the same as the 3.9 and expensive if you have to buy new ones.

·
Shannon Huffman
484 Posts
GA doesn't have emissions tests, correct?
Otherwise, you may run into some trouble with getting an inspection.
A 5.2 wasn't offered in the Dakota in 2000 (only the 3.9, 4.7, 5.9) so they might give you some flack. But since the 5.2 is in the same engine family as the 3.9 and 5.9 I think you would be ok anyway.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am getting the pcm and motor mounts along with the engine, so thats set. thanks for the tip on the dist cap. Ill remember that. and no I dont have to pass any emissions here, so thats not an issue. I was planning on ditching the shroud and going with an e fan but, that wasnt supposed to be for a while. I guess it just got bumped up on the list, Along with some new overflow and washer res. bottles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts