Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a hard time getting my supercharger to give my truck the power i am looking for.
It is not much better than befor i put the kit on so if any one has any hints let me know.
I am driving a 2002 Dakota Sport CC 3.9L supercharged with Crane Cams HI-6CD ignition wiht boost control JBL headers custom 3" Y pipe in to duel 3" cat back and 255 GPH fuel pump 6:1 FMU so i don't know what i should do i am running 10 psi of boost and running the 1/4 in the mid 18s.
with out the supercharger i am running 19s so what can i do about this?

·
Scared? We're all scared
168 Posts
first off, not to flame you or anything, but you've got the wrong engine to try and be racing. your trying to push a 4200 lb "brick" down the road at WOT. won't work too well with a v6. 1/4 mile doesn't measure speed, it measures how much torque you have. that's why stock r/t's can do it in the low 15's: 250 hp and 350 ftlbs of torque.

when you increase your torque, you increase take off. the 3.9's aren't known for their torque or horsepower. they are mainly known for their reliability.

to help you out though, you'd probably want to do major work to the engine. i.e. cam, bigger pistons, bored block, better than stock heads, etc. i'm not sure what your budget is, or what goal your trying to achieve, but this is the draw back to getting a v6 and trying to get it to perform like a v8.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats kind of what I was thinking, you cant just throw a supercharger on an already fairly underpowered engine and expect it to go fast. to take full advantage of the supercharger you would have to do some engine work like camshafts, roller rockers, higher flowing valves, and the things nightmare said.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
?

Thanks for getting back to me i know it is a heavy tuck my truck on the scals is 5183lb but i had a 2000 dakota sport with the 3.9 and it was running 17s low 18s it had more pep than my new one.
I know some one with a 2001 same as mine with the same kit and it is running 14s low 15s i put his kit in and had to do some fine tuning but his works and my truck is just well slow so i dont know what to do i did what the R/T but i got my truck in march of 2001 so thay did not the R/Ts out at that time but i liked my old truck it had some pep i could spin the tires with the new one with the supercharger i cant spin the tires so somthing is F up.

·
Scared? We're all scared
168 Posts
by the way, what rear ratio are you runnin? changing to a numerically higher ratio will help your take off too. that may be a cheaper route.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Dont put down on the lil V6 so fast. I have a friend that has a 94 v6 that has run in the 15's. That was done naturally aspirated, 3.21 gears, and an open diferential.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
we never "put down" the v6, we just said to get the most out of the supercharger he would have to do some engine work.

·
Registered
228 Posts
what blower are you runnin? details man.......... and 6:1 sounds lean to me. i'm getting ready to put a vortech on my 00 3.9 reg cab and i'm gonna run 10:1. but only gaining a second with a blower at 10psi.......... i know your truck is heavy but it can;t be that heavy. call marty and tripper at KRC performance. talk to them because something sounds wrong. and yes doin the other work will help as well. blower should be one of your last mods not your first. oh yeah [email protected] NA should see 13s with the blower

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
supercharger

I am running a V2 Vortech with 3:12 gears and yes the 6:1 is lean but i gives me the most power i run a 8:1 and i works the best out of all of them i would like to take the 3.9 out and mod it to the nuts but that will be latter but i cant seam to get in tuch with Marty it has been two weeks and no one will get back to me and yes the truck is that heavy i put it on the scale at work and the scale is with in 50 lb i am going to chop some stuff off it and try the 1/4 one more time whan you get beat by a fire fly it bugs you and you dont whant to go back to the track i think that 18.4 is slow for a superchared truck dont you

·
Registered
228 Posts
how did you cut into your fuel lines to run the FMU? got any pics? i have an idea of what i plan on doin jsut wondering how yours is set up. and the only way your gonna catch marty or tripper is if you call first things in the morning or right before they close. and i usually don;t expect a call back. so jsut keep trying.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FMU

I did get in tuch with Marty to day he sad i need to go with 4:10 or 4:56 gears in the ass end and told me i should not run 12psi it is hard on the motor but fuel lines are not to bad take you about 1-2 hr i did it all of the truck so much better that way but hear is the pic or the FMU

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dyno

Have you dynoed that truck? It should be making as much power as a stock dakota R/T. Sounds like it weighs more though. I think you should be at least in the 16's.

Torque helps you get off the line, and helps you coming out of a corner. However in drag racing its all about Horsepower since 99% of the time its spend near your redline.

·
Purple - The color of sex
1,229 Posts
Going to those 4.56s will make a world off difference, I think you'd be very pleased.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I realize this is an old post, but 12 pounds of boost on a factory 3.9??? Have you considered just using dynomite?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
nightmare said:
first off, not to flame you or anything, but you've got the wrong engine to try and be racing. your trying to push a 4200 lb "brick" down the road at WOT. won't work too well with a v6. 1/4 mile doesn't measure speed, it measures how much torque you have. that's why stock r/t's can do it in the low 15's: 250 hp and 350 ftlbs of torque.

when you increase your torque, you increase take off. the 3.9's aren't known for their torque or horsepower. they are mainly known for their reliability.

to help you out though, you'd probably want to do major work to the engine. i.e. cam, bigger pistons, bored block, better than stock heads, etc. i'm not sure what your budget is, or what goal your trying to achieve, but this is the draw back to getting a v6 and trying to get it to perform like a v8.
He really doesn't need all that, especially "bigger pistons" and for sure not a bored block. Maybe forged dished pistons and rods. Get different head gaskets cause the stock ones suck, get the heads ported....and run lower boost....10psi is way to much for the stock 3.9 unless you lower the compression by getting dished pistons..... your tune isnt right.....maybe bigger injectors...or run your fuel mixture a little different.....Rich.
My stock 98 RC 3.9 ran 16.80......your supercharged 3.9 CC should be right up with a stock CC RT in the mid to high 15s.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Buttons said:
Have you dynoed that truck? It should be making as much power as a stock dakota R/T. Sounds like it weighs more though. I think you should be at least in the 16's.

Torque helps you get off the line, and helps you coming out of a corner. However in drag racing its all about Horsepower since 99% of the time its spend near your redline.
Thats not true.....at all.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The truck has a lot of power at 3500 rpm but be for that it is like stock
for my 1/8 i am doing 10.7 at 71 mph i can get up with the 4.7 and the 5.9 but off the line i get killed.
this year i was up racing a 4.7 he had 3.93 gars new intake and bigger throttle bodie and he was running 10.1 at 72 mph.
He told me i can cut somthing off my transmission to get my truck working better off the line no does eny one know of this of is he shitting me.
But for the gears in the back i am running 3.55 but i drive the truck for work right now so i need a truck that will not kill the gas it is bad now so i would like to know would 3.93 gears kill my gas or would it not be to bad i just need to get my take off better.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts