Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the 3.9 in my 97 kota blew out on me (pretty bad but fixable, but I want a 360) and I want to know what all I need to turn my 97 into an R/T... well, I want a different gear in the back, but other than that. What all do I need to make the swap work?
And where is the best place to get the parts?

Thanks,
Hugh

M

·
0 Posts
3.9 to 5.9 Swap info.

This guy 5.9 Drivetrain has what you want for $2500. If it's still available!

Other than that B&G Chrysler in Detroit has crate 5.9's with harness, PCM etc. for $4500.

Good luck!!

·
Your hero
561 Posts
Bigguy18LSU77 said:
the 3.9 in my 97 kota blew out on me (pretty bad but fixable, but I want a 360) and I want to know what all I need to turn my 97 into an R/T... well, I want a different gear in the back, but other than that. What all do I need to make the swap work?
And where is the best place to get the parts?

Thanks,
Hugh
Well for the motor just any 5.9 mag will do but you are going to need a oil pan from either a R/T or a 318 dak for that to work. Are you manual or automatic? If you are automatic you will need a 360 flex plate and it should bolt up to your torque converter. If you are manuel you will need a 360 flywheel and a clutch for the V8. AS far as the PCM goes you have a 97 so you're in the clear, just get a 97 V8 PCM. You will have to splice on injectors # 7 & 8 and put the PCM pins in the correct location. I might be missing a thing or two but that should be it I believe.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can get a running 360 for $300 from a junkyard, so how much is the pcm and stuff like that gonna cost? I also want to put a LSD rear end in my truck with at least 4.10 gears.

I have an auto tranny, so can I keep the same one?

Hugh

·
Your hero
561 Posts
Yes your transmission will be fine considering it's a stock 360 so all that you will need for that to work is the 360 flex plate. Not sure how much a V8 PCM is and the additional injectors/pins will set you back. You can always do the gears and limited slip later on too.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I can't wait to get that 360 in. Plus a friend of mine is going to port and tune the heads and all those nice motor mods, so I'm going to be set :)

hopefully I'll have enough money around July, so that I can drop in a 408, with a blower :drool: and alot of other drivetrain mods. I'm thinking about making it into JUST a showtruck... make her a trailer queen. nahh I'd have to drive something with that much power lol :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
i was wanting to swap my 98 v-6 and there is a 95 5.2 at the junkyard and the guy wants 650 for the engine,trans, alt,starter. will that work on my truck? or what will i have to change?

·
Your hero
561 Posts
daksport35 said:
i was wanting to swap my 98 v-6 and there is a 95 5.2 at the junkyard and the guy wants 650 for the engine,trans, alt,starter. will that work on my truck? or what will i have to change?
If it comes with everything you should need a V8 PCM and V8 engine harness.

M

·
0 Posts
Bigguy18LSU77 said:
Well I can't wait to get that 360 in. Plus a friend of mine is going to port and tune the heads and all those nice motor mods, so I'm going to be set :)

hopefully I'll have enough money around July, so that I can drop in a 408, with a blower :drool: and alot of other drivetrain mods. I'm thinking about making it into JUST a showtruck... make her a trailer queen. nahh I'd have to drive something with that much power lol :D
Bigguy if you plan on modding the motor that much you're gonna need a bigger tranny. The V6 won't stand up to that. :sorry:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Originally Posted by daksport35

If it comes with everything you should need a V8 PCM and V8 engine harness.

yeah he said i can have everything, the only other thing is he said is was out of a 1500 and i got a dakota what other changes! or would that be good?

·
I bleev u have mai staplr
3,954 Posts
I have a stock 5.9L R/T PCM I can let go for a good price if ya need it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts