Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 2WD, and I drive it in the Snow. Slips Alot.

What kinda Rear Diff should I get that can fit in the Stock Rear End.

LSD, Locking? And Where should I get the Gears from?

I will probobly get a Local Shop to install it.

Thanx

· I like trucks
510 Posts
YellowKota2k said:
Do NOT get a locker if you're looking for better winter traction. It is no better than an open diff. Hands down your best bet is a LSD.
Yea a locker in the snow is a first class ticket to the ditch or your nearest tree/lightpole.

Reactions: blkjak

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I am checkin ebay for a stock one, no luck.
I found this... for a jeep... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dana...33731QQitemZ7991078075QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

but its for a Dana44 Rear end. What kinda Rear end to Stock 4.7l 2003 Durango's SXT have? or do all the durango's all year first gen have the same rear ends? just diff gears?

like http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODG...33731QQitemZ7991534767QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

maybe I will hit the junk yards next weekend.

stock LSD came in what? the 4x4 units? or you know anyone with an old one?

cuz god knows if I go to a dealer he will charge me up the ass for it.

· Banned
6,056 Posts
You either have a 8.25" or 9.25" rearend. You can check it by either looking in the glove box at on the tag in there, or on the axle itself. They both will say what axle you have, and what type of differential (Anti-Spin = LSD).

· Registered
189 Posts
you will have just as much trouble with a lsd in the snow as with a locker... with a lsd the axles are locked together with a clutch pack until enough force is created to break the grip of the clutches.. so on a slick, icy or snowey road both tires will spin as if they were locked... the ideal set up for snow would be an air locker set up... completly open when off and completly locked when on.

· Registered
227 Posts
I'm just answering this because i also have a 2wd vehicle, and when it snows where i'm from we get usually get an overall disgusting amount of snow, the banks are usually about 12-14 feet high infront of my house, by 2 to 3 months into winter. My dak has a stock LSD unit in it, and I driven a similar setup to mine with and open diff like yours, and i did find some help from the lsd. I also have a 5 speed so i don't know exactly what the advantages or disadvantages are with regards to the stick tranny.

· Banned
6,056 Posts
xtreme6669 said:
you will have just as much trouble with a lsd in the snow as with a locker... with a lsd the axles are locked together with a clutch pack until enough force is created to break the grip of the clutches.. so on a slick, icy or snowey road both tires will spin as if they were locked... the ideal set up for snow would be an air locker set up... completly open when off and completly locked when on.
The ideal setup for winter would actually be a LSD, lockers or spools are no good (though some people can manage just fine with them, LSD's make things much easier).

LSD's don't actually LOCK both axles together, a locker does. A LSD may SEEM like it locks them together, yet will let one power more than the other, unlike a locker.

A Locker is either open or fully locked (like a spool). Once it senses one side spinning, and it's locked; it's harder for it to unlock, especially when you need it. A LSD on the other hand can more easily adjust the clutches to which side has more traction, or stopping power.

Put it this way:

(With a Locker) When you're accelerating and have little traction, both wheels will recieve 100% power. Both tires will be spinning the same speed because the axle shafts are physically locked together. When going around corners in little traction, you don't want both wheels to lock up; this will cause the rearend to slide around. Going around a corner while NOT accelerating, will open the locker up, and allow the wheels to spin at different speeds. Usually when you're stopped, and turning around a corner, you need to accelerate. This is where the locker will lock up and start the sliding...

On the other hand, a LSD will allow both wheels to get power, yet retain the different speeds they need to power the vehicle without slipping. This is not just especially helpful when accelerating, but braking as well.

This is why Lockers are MUCH different than a LSD, especially in low traction. Anyone who has had a LSD, and a Locker, knows what I mean. I'm not just writing this on knowledge, but personal experience as well. LSD is just plain better in this situation...

· Registered
2,372 Posts
As long as youre a good driver you shoudl be fine with a LSD. For winter I would prefer a open diff and a couple of sand bags in the rear for traction.
you can always pour out one sand bag for traction if you get stuck.
a lsd diff will make you spin out jsut as easy as a locker or spool would if you hit the gas too hard
Rob

· Bitches come and get some
343 Posts
I have a 2wd Durango, I've only had my LSD since April so I can't comment on how it performs in the winter; however I would strongly advise purchasing a set of GOOD winter tires. I got around in the snow last year no problem because of my tires. Speaking of which, it's almost time to take off the 20s and put my stock 15s w/ winter tires on.

· Chest Thumper
770 Posts
YellowKota2k said:
They do, it's called a Lincoln Locker. ;)

Why won't a regular locker suit you?
i have a trac lok on it now, but i just like the sheer stupidity of a spool. both wheels turning all the time :biggthump threes times when i power shift 3rd and i get wheel spin it would break 1 tire lose :rant:

· Chest Thumper
770 Posts
YellowKota2k said:
Sounds like you need to break out the welder and get at it with those spider gears! :biggthump
its going to the shop in the winter time for that. its after the intercooler, nitrous, and flash

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.