Dakota Durango Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Let it SNOW!
1,996 Posts
i have one of those portable jump box things, incase your battery ever dies or whatnot. aside from recharging it from an AC outlet, i can also plug it into my cigarette lighter to charge the jumpbox. i found out that if i plug my jumpbox into the power outlet to charge my jumpbox, it doesnt charge. actually, if i shut my truck off and remove my key, and the jumpbox is plugged into the power outlet: my radio will stay on and never shut off. my truck is sponging power FROM the jumpbox rather than feeding power TO the jumpbox.

weird.

· Dak-Dur 11th Most Wanted
9,864 Posts
I aksed my father and he said they are both fused and wired differeently, IE the wires going to the lighter are hot all the time and if i used a power outlet there I could accidently drain my batt if I left somin plugged in. I am thinking this wouldnt be a problem becuase I dont use either of them, I just want to change them for asthetics and so people dont smoke. Any thoughs on this?
Don't leave something plugged in. That's my thought....lol.

· Dak-Dur 11th Most Wanted
9,864 Posts
Old thread, oh well. Anyway, this is what I do:

I've got the 2 outlets on the dash, but I splice in another outlet behind, then plug my XM into it back behind the dash and run my wires under the center console.

· Resident Craigslist Whore
1,954 Posts
just get an identical one from what you already have from a junk yard the splice it in to the existing one. just dont run a few power inverters off each one at the same time, you should be fine. i did it on my 98, never blew a fuse.

· Registered
1 Posts
console outlet removal on 01 durango?

I have removed the console from the middle of the bucket seats of an 01 Durango with no problem, but can't seem to figure out how to get the outlet out of the console. I would like to still be able to use the outlet once it is out. Pictures with the how to would be great if anyone can help.

· Registered
2 Posts
On my 2000 Dakota Sport. I had to replace the Cigarette lighter female side. I first have to remove the panel under the steering wheel. Then open the glove compartment and squeeze the two sides together to lower glove compartment beyond normal limits. Remove the thin panel around the guages, as there are two screws hidden behind it which releases the panel that contains the cigarette plugs, remove the several screws holding this panel both (L) (R) and 2 at the top and 2-3 the bottom. Gently pull that panel away and you will see the cigarette plug exposed and a second removable hole plug which I removed. DO not unplug the wires to the Air Bag system. I bought two generic Cigarette plugs but forgot to measure the holes before buying them. The two I bought fit a 7/8" hole and fell through, I needed the next size up. Depending on your vehicle be sure to measure holes first. The O.E.M. plug was removed and creative wiring joined RED (+) to (+) and Black(-) to (-) and both work. Reverse all above to reassemble.

· Premium Member
6,435 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
There is a black ring on the outside of the OEM cigarette lighter female part. There are two little black pins on the inside stopping the black ring from coming back out. Us a pair of pliers press them toward each other while pushing the plug out. If you break them off it is OK as the black ring can be bought at the Dodge dealer for less than $3.99 Cdn. On the new ring there are two snaps and a small bump, that bump fits through the notch in the hole to guide it in properly. Once that is in position, simply press the black ring into the hole and give it slight turn to lock in place. Then you can push any generic lighter plug $4.99 Cdn., into the hole and wire it up... and your done. If it does not fit snug enough add some quick dry plastic glue, behind the panel gluing it in place. Replace the panel and hide all the hard work you just did.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.