Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone ever added the second cigarette lighter outlet to their truck? i have a hole, but it is covered by a "delete" peice of trim. looking for where to get, degree of difficulty and how much $. thanks.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
awesome, thanks guys!

·
Blown and Squirted
3,407 Posts
In my truck I have a power outlet on the left and an cig lighter on the right, I want to turn the lighter into another covered outlet becuase I dont smoke, and wont allow anyone too in my truck. And it will look my symetric.

I aksed my father and he said they are both fused and wired differeently, IE the wires going to the lighter are hot all the time and if i used a power outlet there I could accidently drain my batt if I left somin plugged in. I am thinking this wouldnt be a problem becuase I dont use either of them, I just want to change them for asthetics and so people dont smoke. Any thoughs on this?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
The only difference between the two, in appearance, is the cover. Get a cover for the lighter side.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I aksed my father and he said they are both fused and wired differeently
Can anyone tell me where the power outlet is fused at? I recently broke the plastic surrounding on both the lighter and the power outlet. A simple universal lighter insert fits perfect. The power insert fits good as well, although I had to remove a metal mount for mounting underneath the dash (came out by simply unscrewing it). Unfortunately, only the lighter works, and not the power. I can't seem to find a burned out fuse, so I'm a little lost as to where to replace this fuse.

Also, on a side note, my lighter is only powered when the ignition is either on acc or running. With a phone charger plugged in, the light goes out when I turn off the truck.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
651 Posts
You need to remove the lower (center) piece of the dash. There should be an extra wire in there with some foam wrapped over the end. Unlpug the harness from the lighter element, and plug in this foam wrapped wire (after removing the foam of course. now you will have constant power supplied to your cell charger/lighter. Just be careful not to leave something hooked up for too long, or you could drain the battery.

Should only take 5 minutes to do.

You may want to use some goo gone on the "wrapped" plug, the sticky residue makes it hard to plug into the element!

td

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks man, but I was looking for where the power outlet is fused at. The lighter works fine and I don't mind that it's only active when the truck is on...safer that way...

My problem is that I have no power coming to the power outlet and I can't find the fuse for it to see if it's blown or not.

18,185 Posts
Five9Dak said:
I aksed my father and he said they are both fused and wired differeently, IE the wires going to the lighter are hot all the time and if i used a power outlet there I could accidently drain my batt if I left somin plugged in.
I don't know about anyone else but I charge my cell in my truck all the time when I'm at work and I never have the truck on. And that's using the aux. one not the cig lighter. So I know they both have power all the time.

Good idea makin the cig lighter match the aux. I think I might have to do that.

·
Tim's R/T
4 Posts
N56629 said:
The only difference between the two, in appearance, is the cover. Get a cover for the lighter side.
the difference is the one on the left is constant power, the one on the right is only when the vehicle is on...or atleast in the accessory position and i don't know how to spell accessory

·
Registered
11 Posts
Does ANYONE at all know where the power outlet is fused at? I'm getting no power to the extra outlet, but the cigarette lighter works fine. I can't find where the power outlet is fused at.

Anyone????

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Smoke20 said:
Does ANYONE at all know where the power outlet is fused at? I'm getting no power to the extra outlet, but the cigarette lighter works fine. I can't find where the power outlet is fused at.

Anyone????
in the small fuse panel on the side of the dash on the drivers side, there should be a fuse for it in there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'll look again, but I'm pretty sure that everyone of the fuses in there are working fine. Most have been replaced with those smart fuses. I don't even remember seeing a spot for it on the panel cover.

·
"][" {[]} {[]} ][_ 
17,338 Posts
terry said:
go to wal mart. they have a kit with directions and everything.
Yeah walmart actually the only one they have fits our trucks, it will even plug in to factory wirting if you have it, only thing is you need the little snap thingie to hold it in the dash

·
Loud is NOT Fast
1,768 Posts
Have you tried the fuse box under the hood?

·
"][" {[]} {[]} ][_ 
17,338 Posts
Smoke20 said:

Anyone????
It is on the back side of the fuse box, not the front side, you can reach it barely without removing the panel under the steering wheel. It is there, i think there are a couple close by, the owner manual never mentions these, but i blew mine and went to tracing wires cause i couldnt find a fuse then saw those. Hope this helps you out

·
Registered
101 Posts
jmaack727 said:
It is on the back side of the fuse box, not the front side, you can reach it barely without removing the panel under the steering wheel. It is there, i think there are a couple close by, the owner manual never mentions these, but i blew mine and went to tracing wires cause i couldnt find a fuse then saw those. Hope this helps you out

I ended up wiring mine into the radio constant wire, mainly so I could have my siruis unit stay on when switching to accessorie and not lose my stored recording

1 - 20 of 29 Posts