Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a drag radial that fits well under the back end of a Dakota? The stock tires are 29", so I was trying to stay near that. I was thinking of sticking them on 15x7" aluminum base model wheels.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Is there a drag radial that fits well under the back end of a Dakota? The stock tires are 29", so I was trying to stay near that. I was thinking of sticking them on 15x7" aluminum base model wheels.
Go for the 15x8 wheel, and don't wider than a 9" tire, 10" max.

Most people rum too wide a tire for the rim...I run 11" on Slicks on my 10" rims.

·
10 Second Club
4,009 Posts
Hoosier says they can run the 28x10x16 slick not drag radial on a 8" wheel. If you run a 15x7 you might not get away with anything bigger then a 9" tire. Check the manufacturers website to see what they recommend.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was wanting to stay with a narrow tire anyway. The only drag radials I can find that are close in height (for "street tire" racing) are 275/60/15 at about 28" tall. They're not really what I'm looking for. Too wide, too short, and too heavy I think. So I started looking at slicks and found 29.5x9x15 MT's which sound really good size wise - but wouldn't be legal in most of the cheesy street car bracket classes around here.

·
10 Second Club
4,009 Posts
I was wanting to stay with a narrow tire anyway. The only drag radials I can find that are close in height (for "street tire" racing) are 275/60/15 at about 28" tall. They're not really what I'm looking for. Too wide, too short, and too heavy I think. So I started looking at slicks and found 29.5x9x15 MT's which sound really good size wise - but wouldn't be legal in most of the cheesy street car bracket classes around here.
Why does it have to be a 29" tire?

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
M&H makes a 275/60-15 drag radial which they say is 28x9.5x15 - should fit just fine. It might sound wide, but you're going to want that traction when you're racing.

I've used Mickey Thompson 26x10.5x15, 26x11.5x15, and 28x10.5x15 on OEM 15x8 wheels - track use only. The only thing I've used on the street was M&H 275/55-16 or 325/45-17 drag radials - they both worked great until I went to the 408/N2O/4.56 combo.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
i could be wrong,but 29'' sounds a little on the tall side for the factory size,i'm thinking its around 27.8:huh:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies.

My truck has 255/65/16s on it which work out to 29.05" tall.

I didn't want the rear tires shorter than the front (reverse rake is bad) and I also didn't want a bigger/heavier tire than I need for traction with a stock truck, like the 275/60 tires. I'm just looking at increasing traction a little for bracket racing and running for fun at street tire events while not wasting my all season tires.

I didn't know M&H made a 275/55/16 tire.

What do you have to do to recalibrate the speedo in these trucks? Can they take care of that at a dealership? Or do I have to buy a programmer? I wouldn't mind dropping a tire size all the way around for my street tires, but I'd like my speedo to be correct.

·
I know nothing
1,247 Posts
What do you have to do to recalibrate the speedo in these trucks? Can they take care of that at a dealership? Or do I have to buy a programmer? I wouldn't mind dropping a tire size all the way around for my street tires, but I'd like my speedo to be correct.

superchips will do it as well as the dealership can

1 - 10 of 10 Posts