Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 4.7 auto (45rfe) with electronic transfer case (233) and I'm looking to swap it for a 242 with 2wd, 4hi, 4ft, and 4lo. I want to have the awd setting for on road use in rain, light snow, etc. When using 4lock in snow that goes back to pavement it binds up my case. They only plow main roads where I live, back roads will be full of snow. It's a pain to switch back and forth all the time. But I still want 2wd for towing, burnouts and general day to day driving. I know they made a version with a wider chain for V8s, what could I source that out of and what if anything do I need to change for it to fit in my truck?

·
Registered
12 Posts
To my (limited) knowledge, I'm only aware of the NV242 in Jeeps with the inline-6 engine. This t-case uses a manual shift lever, so you'd have to cut a hole in the floor.

However, if you use the NV244 (AWD/4hi/4lo, but no 2wd), it's a bolt in exchange and will operate with your existing 4wd selector switch (with "2wd" position becoming AWD). This was factory on Dakotas and Durangos, and some full size Dodges.

If you want to pursue the NV242, I recommend contacting George at Transfer Cases Unlimited (transfercase.com). He can tell you what upgrade parts are available. He also supplies rebuilt units and upgraded units for high HP applications. He supplied my NV244. I swapped when the original NV233 quit. I'm also a big fan of upgrading the front driveshaft to something that replaces the (week/failure prone) pancake CV joint, with universal joints. I got mine after the t-case swap, from Northern Colorado Driveline Service. But they are available from others, and some shops will just custom make one for you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts