Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it possible to put 20's on my 4 cyl cc 98, because i am concerned that as gimpy as my engine is it will not be able to run them, what is the largest wheels i can put on this truck, will i lose my gas mileage, is it possible to run 22's? if so is it going to mess up my gearing in the rear, or cause any damage? :help:

·
GenII Owner
441 Posts
No expert but it depends on the weight of the new wheel/tire combo if its a lot heavier, which is likely, yeah, it can cause issues. If you re-gear the rear differential it might make it all work pretty well.

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
ya, you can run 20`s or 22`s. dont be suprised if ya aint got much get up and go. need to upgrade the brakes as well. that tire/wheel pkg add significant rolling weight to the drive train.

IMO, with the 4banger, 18`s or 19`s would be better. any higher id do a engine swap first.

BTW, howd ya find the site? welcome aboard. :drive: :wave:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
by search engine a while back, been posting in the 2.5 room, and sub room, everything ive done so far has been internal, the next thing id like to do, IS an engine swap, however, im hesitant cause i hear its pretty hard to do, trying to find like a 3.9 for it, (98 sport c/c), i am waiting to do all my body work at once, my sister was makin money by detailin it, left the door open on a hill, went to wash off the engine, and pulled the wrong lever, (E-Brake), truck rolled back, door caught a brick wall, and ripped the hinges apart and trashed the door, so i temp fixed it and bought new hinges, lol, but i need to get a new door for it, this will hapen when i finish getting everything, putting taneau cover, and undebody kit, roll pan, removing handles, and tailgate handle, makin everything remote. Its manual, but i used a mercury switch as a neautral safety switch, and put a remote start in. lol, so yeah, to much work to do, but this forum has been a huge help. so thanks for the welcome, and thats my introduction =) :wave:

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
not really hard to do a engine swap. the harnesses are pretty much the same for all Dakotas. just gotta get the right ECM/motor/tranny set up.

lots of help here in SD, several R/T guys and we can help out either by info or hands on.

www.socaldakota.com (based in Santee) is a great place to get parts, even install help on some stuff.

also, hit www.dakotausa.com another great Dakota forum.

·
Happy 4th of July!
47,199 Posts
Bah, to hell with motorswaps...

BOOST

For the price of a nice 5.9L, you could add boost and have that motor tuned perfectly!

You can get a turbo manifold made up for a couple hundred bucks, about $400 for a good used turbo, and prolly about $500 in tunning...

I've always wanted to drive a 4 cyc Dakota, cause I think it'd be a cheap practical daily driver. But here at near 5000 Ft... Ugh, small motors suck :biggthump

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow thanks for the help, i will be contacting socal dakotas, as far as practical dakots, yes, the usability is great, the gas mileage is ideal with these prices (2.55) a gal, not to mention it still handles well, carries a load, and has soem decent get up and go. i love it. however, it isnt cutting it ne more, so id like a 3.9 or so.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts