Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing the propeller CV joint on my 2011 Durango Express (there's a clicking sound upon acceleration when the engine is under load) and I've removed the bolts on the front drive shaft CV joints but am having a hell of a time getting the shaft out. Anything I'm missing? Any special tricks aside from just beating it? Posting a couple reference pics, I even got the front of the CV joint to slip off on the differential side but the rest is still in there solid.. thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m having a hell of a time removing mine as well how did you get yours off I have removed all the bolts front(4) and rear(6) and I can’t get it to drop out I pried the front out past the lip with a prybar and nothing

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m having a hell of a time removing mine as well how did you get yours off I have removed all the bolts front(4) and rear(6) and I can’t get it to drop out I pried the front out past the lip with a prybar and nothing
Well I soaked it with PB Blaster and beat on it with a mini sledge for a while, but I'd recommend pulling the front piece forward to get some clearance as she ok wn in the pic. Im also providing a screenshot to show u where it will break loose. My problem turned out to be the transfer case chain being worn and stretched, causing the chain to slip over the gear sprockets and creating the metallic clicking under load.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are the before and after pics of my actual problem, the CV joints on the drive shaft were fine. Removing the front drive shaft was unnecessary to fix it, but if you're having the same problem I was u will need to remove the rear shaft the same way

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts