Dakota Durango Forum banner
61 - 80 of 105 Posts
Getting ready to do my install this week (08 IM/cams) - how much should I worry about running lean? I do plan on getting it tuned - should I avoid long trips/hard acceleration until I do? I've noticed that Torque Pro can't read AFR from the OBD-II on this truck, so not sure how much automatic adjustment the ECU can do for the added airflow? I was going to wait until I had the true dual exhaust (cutting the y-pipe and welding in a dual in/out muffler and pipes) done before getting it tuned and that won't be for a few weeks. This is my daily. Should I install a wideband AFR gauge?

On that note - any recommended remote tuners for these trucks? Also going to look for someone local, but I like options.

Not sure about running lean with the 08 cams as I don’t have them, as for tuning I went with flyin Ryan performance, he’s good to work with and really knows his stuff.

Reactions: sk8erord
Will not run lean. While doing the work replace; MAP sensor and the O2 sensors (use NTK). Unlikely that you will have to do any tuning at all. With good sensors, once in closed loop the PCM learns and repopulates the fuel-maps. Takes a dozen drives for it to re-map. In other-words, the existing unit does it all. Save you money.

I know this is an old thread. I have a recently acquired 02 grand cherokee and thinking about doing the 08 cams. Will any 08 cam work or is it still considered an 08 h.o.? I see camshafts online but they say will not work with h.o. and no luck finding something that says h.o. for the 08 model year. Thanks

Hello, just joined and hoping someone could give me a quick sanity check. I've got an 02 Dakota QC 4x4 with the 4.7 and manual. Recently moved to the mountains and the elevation changes are killer (8 and 10 percent grades). Looking for a bit more power to help with those, and the '08 cam swap seems to be the answer. Wanted to check my understanding on a few things:

1. 249-26113 springs with stock retainers? I have 230k on the engine so spring replacement is a good idea anyway.
2. Some are saying a tune with SCT is necessary, some are saying it isn't and the truck will eventually self-learn. Which is correct?
3. Are the cams listed on Rockauto (53021159AE and 53021160AE) actually the '08 cams? They show these as replacements for 2000-2010, which doesn't make sense since (to my understanding) there are two different cams across that year range.
4. Any other supporting mods I should look at? Planning on a full exhaust and CAI, and my goal is maybe a 10-15% power increase to help with those steep grades.

Moparsz, if you've still got a set of '08 cams I'd be interested in buying those so I know I'm getting the right thing.

Hello All

First, glad to see this is thread is not totally dead.

I re found this thread trying to determine if I should go with a smartchips (canned tunes, tow, 3 octanes, or, “milage”), or an sct type device and learn to tune or have it tuned.

I just re read this post and as I am almost done installing HO cams in a 04 Dak QuadCab 5sp I am left wondering more now.

Is my stock tune even safe?

Would the smart chips canned tunes even help? Likely hard to tell without Wideband O2s

@ROYALEwitCHEESE are you still active to chime in with your experience on this??

I feel like my project is right where yours was Royal, except I’m afraid I don’t have the dough to get whatever sct tuner is used theses days and Wideband 02s and some logger/writer(for me or someone else to utilize to tune). Might afford me the smart chips for not even $300 if it would help unless it’s a bad move or a no move.

As of now I’ve done cams only. Did em when doing timing chain guides ect. Maybe someday a new y pipe, 3” after that (maybe with a cutout:)) and Wideband 02 or 02s, and a home brew cold air intake. I’m not prepared for any of that though.

Just wanted to get it running solid again(had one stuck chain tensioner, could here it slapping-some guy thought maybe it was time for Lucas-smh). Did the cams while I was in there and now I’m worried. Figured the computer would compensate for any minor change in fuel needs after some time but now I am unsure.

Little scared even.

Thanks for any and all guidance
Bruce
04Dak Quad Cab 5sp
135k wonderfully maintained miles

Figured the computer would compensate for any minor change in fuel needs after some time but now I am unsure.
For what it's worth, most of what I've read suggests the computer and stock tune can handle the 08 or HO cam swap fine, assuming that's the only mod you've made. However, some folks also suggest swapping valve springs and going with an SCT-style tuning solution to get the most out of the swap, or if you've done any other work (like exhaust, intake mods, engine mods, etc). Most suggest mild driving over the first 100-ish miles to allow the computer time to adjust without throwing the truck into a lean condition or similar. Keep in mind I AM NOT an expert by any means - this is just what I've read.

Since my truck is bone-stock otherwise and I'm just looking for a little extra power on the hills, I'm planning to run the HO cams and an HO intake with no tuning or other mods (on a 230k engine). I'd like to do exhaust in the future, and I may investigate a SCT tuner at some point too. Unfortunately I can't start on any of this until the spring - waited too long and I can't be without 4x4 during the winters out here. Meaning that everything above is just anecdotal evidence and not based on personal experience (sorry I can't be more helpful here).

Best of luck with your swap, let us know how it goes!

@bovinezro thank you much for your reply.

I am new here and have not read what you have. Here or probably elsewhere. What you have read essentially confirms what I was thinking. Also, I had always intended on leaving my scan tool hooked up a while while driving and watching the fuel trims, I should be able to tell if it’s maxing out.

When I look back royal had a handful of mods more than I do so I’m not surprised he may have been running somewhat lean.

Cam is the only mod for now besides a real oil psi gauge, oil temp, and coolant in and out of motor temp gauges(not really mods IMO - additions tho!). No money atm for mufflers, and a dump to the loud one, a fat y pipe, wideband and all that. Let alone a tuner. Don’t even have a cold air intake although I like that injen one. However the injen says not compatable with cruise control-if it’s just in the way I’ll relocate it. I do not plan on doing the 08 intake as I read more than once and I think Martin said it on his YouTube channel there is more power up top but you may loose torque down bottom, and I tow a stump grinder part time. It’s a work/play truck, I take the hatchback with studded tires to my full time gig in the winter, better than any truck I’ve ever had in the snow! In fairness haven’t driven this one in snow yet. Bought this truck for a work truck but I just can’t help myself but to play. Wifey don’t think my idol is Tim Allen for nothin.

I have to wonder what software is used to tune in conjunction with and sct tuner, and if I could figure it out on my own or not.

Photo of the current status of the truck included. Cams in. Chains on. Valve cover bolts came yesterday. New lifters are soaking in oil. Might put most of the rest of it back together tomorrow. Waiting on the all aluminum radiator and i’d like to replace the alternator while I’m at it all(it’s right on top and all but the bearings don’t feel great)

Bruce

To be fair, most of what I've read is anecdotal. I don't recall seeing anyone actually hook up a wideband sensor or similar or pulling data logs. That being said, I know most computer controlled vehicles do a decent job of adjusting AFR on the fly. I routinely drive 20 miles with a 3000' elevation change (try doing that with a carb) and I've never had any issues with pinging or knocking. Might be worth getting a scan tool to keep an eye on things during that drive though, especially the uphill return. Just for my own knowledge if nothing else.

I use mine primarily for hauling and camping. It's my emergency winter vehicle too. I've got a little FWD Kia EV with snow tires, but the Dakota's 4x4 with a set of Wrangler tires can handle the real serious snow (we routinely get 24"+ during the winter) and it's got far more ground clearance. If you've got 4x4 and good winter tires (3PSF rated) I think you'll be very happy with the winter performance!

Also my truck isn't quite stock - I've done one minor mod (an Airaid 300-917 intake elbow). Didn't really seem to do much aside from giving a throatier sound at about 2500-3500RPM, but I got it cheap and I figured it would be a decent supporting mod for the other stuff I have planned. I don't think that would be enough to require a retune even with the cams.

@bovinezro thanks again for the reply.

I agree. I think most computer controlled vehicles also do a good job of adjusting along the way, and as things change.

I will monitor my fuel trims, 02s(although with factory narrow bands you can really only tell rich or lean by the 02s, not exactly by how much), ect. I’ll try to take the wife’s phone for good photos at start and warm first run and as often as I can till I’m comfortable with it. I’m fairly certain it will be fine, I think I just freaked for a min about it running lean.

Wish I did before and after photos but too late now. I’ll try to post here when I do it. Maybe as they and/or more mods come too. Seems quite here but I got the second opinion I needed to proceed with caution. Maybe someday someone else will need the knowledge. It’s happened in the stump grinder forum world for me.

Thanks again. Post when there’s progress.

Bruce

Is there any reason you couldn't grab the ENGINETECH ES705 & ES706 off RockAuto as replacement 2008+ cams? I've yet to find somewhere this has been talked about.
Wow that’s cheap! Wish I had thought of that! I went HO cam route and paid up on fleebay.
I don’t see any reason it shouldn’t work but I’m no expert. Don’t say I said do it or that those are the right part numbers either, lol. If you read back it looks like others have used 08+ in 07down blocks.

61 - 80 of 105 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.