Dakota Durango Forum banner

2008 Camshafts in 01 4.7

66K views 104 replies 33 participants last post by  andyvh1959 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

So my truck is bone stock but I just purchased the 08 camshafts, H/O springs, sct tuner, data logger, 72mm TB, gibson headers, and I already have an 08 manifold. I'll be putting on a 3inch single exhaust as well and I'll definitely let you guys know how it goes and possibly even some 0-60 and 0-100 videos.

#2 ·
Yes I've been waiting for someone to do this

#3 ·
First off do some research and see if you can put those 08 cams in 01 block. I have seen guys been able to put in a 06 block after a regrind. There is a lift issue (I am guess on memory here) on the intake valves. There is a maximum of a .500" lift on the 00-07 block. The 08 cams have like .528" ish (memory here) so you do not want to be smashing valves when you fire it up the first time.
Second I would go with the true dual from Spintech. If you are hell bent on a single pipe, get a hold of Nick from Airram. There is an issue with the "Y" pipe on these trucks. Alot of constriction in that area on the exhaust system.
Third a defiantly a must is a fuel rail modification on this engine. You will be spitting the fuel rail up creating a more consistent pressure along the fuel injectors.
Fourth just an idea change the fuel injectors. 08 are a good year or the ford XF2E-C4B. They both have a four hole spray pattern.

#4 ·
last I heard there was not much of a difference between the 08 and the reg cam.

if you go with a sing. 3 inch yes you want to replace the stock y-pipe because it is well crap.

the fuel rail/ fuel system is not a concern with the mods you have listed the tune and the intake are going to be the biggest bang for the buck

#5 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys I'm just wondering if you actually spoke to someone who's actually tested the 2008 cams because moparman2004 has and they supposedly pull harder the HO cams. The specs on the 2008 cams are around 509 intake lift and 470 something exhaust lift which puts them in between 206 cams and 212 cams. Valve clearance was not a problem for him either. I'm doing this swap 100% for sure and I will let you guys know the result. There have probably been less than 5 people to try this so I will be a guinea pig and I'm confident that it will work based on moparman'
s experience.

#7 ·
Not sure where u got that info redram did not come up with the stock specs you speak of. Here he posted the specs I could dig up the other thread too. http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299018

Anyways I know red rams name on another site where he posted the same specs. There was also someone else who previously spec'd them who came up with the same specs. There was however a website that mentioned they spec'd them to be the same as stock cams and redram was under some confusion initially (and to his admission) as he originally thought his 08 cams had the same specs but later confirmed with the cam doctor that they were greater than the 206 cams.

#8 ·
Ok yes I did install the 08 cams no they are not the same they are a .510in and .478ex lift 08+ injectors will not swap in there is so much bad info people pass and spread but never put hands on parts if you look at the cams side by side you can see they are not the same if you have questions pm me and the lack of oil holes in the cam has 0 effect it

#9 ·
I actually just completed the swap the other day. I was going to swap the HO springs in as well but I ended up not doing so and I'll probably just wait until I get ported heads with comp springs to make things simpler. So I installed the 72mm tb, 08 manifold, and 08 cams at the same time on the stock tune. I'm still waiting for my x3 and lm2 but on the stock tune it runs perfectly smooth and pulls very hard at 75% throttle. I'm probably running very lean so I'm kinda paranoid and don't want to try WOT until my stuff is in but it should be here shortly.

I don't think anyone has anything to be afraid of the cams bolt right in with stock springs/retainers.

#10 ·
I would be careful running stock springs and deffenitly get your a/f gauge installed then send hemifever what you have done he will make adjustments then your 0-80 pull

#11 ·
Well I figure KRC apprently told people that 206 cams were fine at 6000rpm with stock springs and these aren't too much more aggressive than 206 once I got my data logger you think 6000 would be a safe shift or should I shift lower? I know the stock springs can handle 6000 rpm fine but with a higher lift with the 08 cam I'd imagine they'd be under some more stress...

#12 ·
I'll do some more research and potentially have my rev limiter moved from 6000 to 5600-5800 if the verdict is that it's not worth risking that rpm with a 509 intake lift. I know 206 cams aren't too far off from these and I'm pretty sure the stock springs weren't an issue but I really could be wrong.

#13 ·
The lift of the cams is greater then the 206's and I take anything krc with a grain of salt they are not here anymore. I would not go bigger then a H.O. cam with stock or H.O. springs. I started my 08 cam swap after I swapped a motor for a friend in his 2008 ram 4.7l 6spd. He was doing 70mph down the freeway and by the time he was able to kill it the valve spring broke and dropped the valve into the cylinder beat it around put a hole in the cylinder. Then the follower came loose and rattled around inside the valve cover. And from what I can tell it seems to be a pretty common issue on 08+ 4.7l as I have sold the other 7 rod and pistons all in 3 weeks. Personally I feel they didn't run a stiff enough spring from the factory causing them to over work and break. But its your call on what you want to do.

#15 ·
Shit well I do believe you I just feel like a bit of an idiot now. I did plan on going with comp springs with ported heads at this point I'm wondering if I should just keep the stock springs and never rev above the 5250 shift point and wait until the summer to buy and install comp springs with the heads or if it would be better just bite down and change them now after just having it open and doing the camswap.

Is it easy with the spring compressor to change the springs? Could I just leave the cams in with the engine in, turn them to neutral position, remove followers, compress air into the cylinder and replace the spring? If it is easy I just need to know how to compress air into the cylinder that the valve is coming out of. Thanks.

#16 ·
it threads into the spark plug hole and uses air pressure to hold valve up

#17 · (Edited)
So I don't have a video yet but the truck runs night and day compared to stock. Once Ryan got some revisions in the truck now pulls hard up to 6k so that must be calculating out to a healthy hp # I'm estimating about 260 to the wheels with the mods I have which would put me right around the 350hp mark of the earlier hemi. I will get the truck dyno'd in the spring and then in the future if I do the race ported heads I'll do another dyno.

I'll do a quick walk around video as well as a 1st to 2nd gear pull. The truck is a quad cab auto 3:55 geared and it's still moves very well now. It's a little slow off the line without a stall converter or better gears but once it gets going it pulls very hard. I'll also just do some 2nd gear pulls because I really think it highlights the strength of the power band that the 08 cams provide with the 08 manifold. I've seen too many people have high end cams like 206 and up that IMO just will not create good HP numbers because to calculate into a lot of HP you need a manifold that makes torque past 5200 RPM. Chrysler probably designed the 08 cams to have the same powerband that the manifold wants to provide.

I really feel if anyone wants 4.7 performance advice just get the 08 manifold with 08 cams or HO cams with an SCT tune. A lot of people especially in the past before the 08 manifold was available found that the 4.7s would put out much higher torque numbers than hp even with full bolt ons and ported heads. For actual HP numbers your 4.7 build should IMO focus on making power higher than 5000rpm. Can't wait to get this dyno'd to remind people that the 4.7 is definitely no slouch.

#19 ·
No problem I'm hoping to see a lot more people going for the 2008 cams. The only other option are regrinds but I personally feel the 08 cams are probably the best match for the 08 manifold as the cams are only a bit bigger than the 206 variants and they start losing their torque closer to 6k as does the 08 manifold. I suspect that once you get into the 212 and 218 cams that the sully manifold would start to become of use. I am going on vacation tomorrow but once I get back Ill try to get some vids posted ASAP. Happy new year everyone!

Reactions: Nox
#20 ·
HI. I am in the middle of a rebuild and am considering running the '08 cams in my motor. Anyone happen to have the part numbers for these? I have scrounged around and found a few but want to be sure before I buy the wrong ones!

#21 ·
according to Chrysler the newest part numbers listed are 53021984AB and 53021983AB if your looking to purchase new let me know I can order them from work with little markup

#22 · (Edited)
Wait, what? I've been looking for HO cams for my 01 QC. As we all know, those are getting pretty extinct (the cams, not the trucks!). I thought the 4.7 in 2008 was a completely different head with different cams in it. Are you saying the the 2008 cams will fit in a 1999-2007 motor? I was under the impression that they wouldn't even mount up in the older heads. If they do, what about the later years?...where's the cutoff for the older heads?

#23 ·
There was and still is a lot of false info people are putting out there with never putting hands on. I installed these almost a year ago and had 0 issues with them so yes the cams will fit the earlier heads and run but reccomend springs and programmer

#27 ·
Yes they do work perfectly in my 01, I spoke to Nick at airram and he said I should be fine at 6k with stock springs since I only have about 125k miles but I do plan on putting the factory HO springs in come spring time/summer at the latest. I have taken it up over 6k many times with no float (still pulls very hard). I don't suggest running stock springs I completely agree just putting out my experience.

Yeah, thanks moparman. I looked up some of your other threads and gained some more insight. That's pretty cool news! I noticed another member was going to dyno them this spring, so that should be interesting to see. I saw the posts on the springs and possible breakage also. Seems that the factory '08 or HO springs should suffice, or Comp's 26113 set. I'd about given up on camming the ol' girl, but this kinda gives me hope. Even rockauto seems to sell the '08 cams at a reasonable price. I see them all over ebay too, but the prices seem ridiculously low, maybe not mopar parts? I'm not looking to go full race at anytime, just a bit more lower end for mileage. Interesting stuff here...
Remember 2008 cams are like 208 cams... They are more aggressive than 206 cams in specs and the HO cams have a better low end pull. Maybe you could buy the HO cams that are supposedly in the classifieds.

#24 ·
Yeah, thanks moparman. I looked up some of your other threads and gained some more insight. That's pretty cool news! I noticed another member was going to dyno them this spring, so that should be interesting to see. I saw the posts on the springs and possible breakage also. Seems that the factory '08 or HO springs should suffice, or Comp's 26113 set. I'd about given up on camming the ol' girl, but this kinda gives me hope. Even rockauto seems to sell the '08 cams at a reasonable price. I see them all over ebay too, but the prices seem ridiculously low, maybe not mopar parts? I'm not looking to go full race at anytime, just a bit more lower end for mileage. Interesting stuff here...

#25 ·
My cost on them threw work was around $500 if I remember right

#28 · (Edited)
Not only do the 08 cams work perfectly, I ran them for a few weeks on a stock tune with no engine codes. Once I had my wideband I found out I was running very lean obviously but these are the go to cams for this engine they seem to work perfectly with the 08 manifold. When people say there is no aftermarket support for the 4.7s they are wrong... You can upgrade the throttle, intake manifold, camshafts, we have performance heads/performance valve springs and pistons/rods, headers, y pipes, custom tuning, etc. If you want you can get the sullivan manifold and run a 7000 rpm high stall 224 cam build (yes you can get regrinds!). The only thing we are really missing IMO is the turbo and supercharger kit. Not only can you do all this for the 4.7 its easy to get... Nick at airram has everything except for the cams and he's almost always picked up the phone when I've called him with a question. The 08 cams are easiest to find through dealerships, online dealerships, or ebay.

#29 ·
Hey ROYALE, it was your post i originally ran into, then followed moparman's posts on his. I was about to give up on camming this with the HO ones...getting really hard to find. The '08s look like just a touch "cammier" than even the HOs. I'm not looking for super gains, i love the stock power it has. The only mod i've done is the 5 speed TCM swap ($40 at the local yard). I've got 175k on the girl now and she runs like new. Very smooth and quiet, but has that nice V8 throaty sound through the intake and good pull. Plus, she's getting 14-15 MPG around the city and near 20 on the HWY (warm weather...winter here in TN is kinda killing those numbers). No Honda grocery getter, but not too bad for an '01 4x4 QC, i figure....the Honda would never tow the boat!

Since I do tow a boat with it, I didn't want to get too crazy with mods and such, but I figure a touch more torque might get me a bit of MPG and some ooomph on the butt dyno. I'm an old man and been a technician/mech for 20+ years. I got this truck cheap with (they thought) blown head gaskets and 131k. The overheating wasn't head gaskets (blocked rad) and the motor looked near new inside. The engineering in this motor is not very Mopar like (i used to work for the local dealership back in the day). Very high tech and well built. One of Mopar's better products, i would think.

I saw that come spring you were going to dyno yours. Guess I'll be another person waiting with baited breath on those results. This cam news is really intriguing. Really appreciate the info guys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.