·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so the exhaust valve lift is .472 and intake is .509 with a 1.85 follower

·
Registered
708 Posts
was looking at my cam card and I see what you mean, almost seem like h.o. cams would be better, but I could be wrong without seeing the specs on the h.o.'s my 224/224s have a 520 lift on intake and exhaust 1.85 rocker arm ratio

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
These are better then h.o. And 206
STANDARD CAMS
.443 intake
.429 exhaust

H.O. CAMS
.472 intake
.429 exhaust

206 CAMS
.465 exhaust

2008 (208?) Cams
.509 intake
.472 exhaust

212X
.502 intake
.502 exhaust

.502 intake
.520 exhaust

224 turbo
.520 intake
.520 exhaust

here is your cam list

·
Registered
708 Posts
thanks for the list after comparing the standard cams to the h.o.'s I see why my truck ran so good significant difference, I have yet to see how what the 224s are like, still in the middle of an engine build, set of comp springs and solid lash adjusters and some warm weather be good to go

·
Registered
45 Posts
Maybe this is a old topic but do the 08 cams fit in the 07 and older heads. Gonna take my ho cams out over went and have ground into 206's but sounds like 08s are better. Or has anyone tired to put them in. Havent had any 08s apart to see if any difference.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes they have been bolted into 97-07 heads but have not been ran and the 2008 cams will require tunning and upgraded springs no lash caps needed as they have not been reground and once I sell my ho cams and 08 intake my 2008 cams will be installed and here is a side by side 1&3 are 2008 2&4 are standard cams

Attachments

·
Craigslue
757 Posts
I seem to remember the 206 cams to have intake .502 lift?? I use to have all the specs for the regrinds. It does look like you have the exhaust and intakes swapped on the HO cams just incase others may find it helpful in the future, looks like the 218's may be swapped too.

·
Craigslue
757 Posts
So your going to be the first guinea pig and try the 08 cams? Curious what the duration difference on the 08 cams. Is there going to be any oiling problems with the 08 cams? If your removing your 08 intake what are you planning to run?

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did a engine swap on a 08 ram for a guy and kept what would of been a core had it not had a rod threw the cylinder and he ordered a used crate motor from a wrecking yard so I had a complete 08 4.7l to keep intake and all. So mine is still installed on my truck this is a spare. And ya figured I would be the guinea pig to give them a shot to say I was the first (bragging rights are everything right) and no oiling issues the journals between cams are the same so it should be fine but here is a link with alot more detail to it http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371507

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
and I thought I had all ready fixed the H.O. but must not of saved it and I screwed the other up but all fixed now

·
Craigslue
757 Posts
I seem to remember reading the newer cams were solid and didn't have oiling holes for the followers but I could be wrong? Maybe it was only one of the cams? As long as the sprockets and tone wheels and cam pin are all the same I see know problem why they wouldn't work. The only problem I could see happening is if the changed the physical location of the cam pins in relation to the cam lobes. I'm guessing they would be to lazy to change something that easy to ignore with no need to change it in the first place. If the bigger regrinds have no clearance issues neither should the newer cams. Not sure I would want to try to run the heads from an 08 on the older 4.7 due to different pistons and head cylinder design. Who knows what the compression ratio that would turn out to be. Think it would be a better idea to just install the newer 4.7 into an older Dakota. Would be nice if somehow we could get the cam specs and timing measured by by Crane or somebody else. I can't believe somebody doesn't have access to a factory manual that would show the cam timing specs like my 01manual does. You should be able to figure the lsa and duration from those specs! Cams using these cores for some Comp cams or even some bigger better regrinds? Something tells me that the lsa could be bigger for better emission closer to our original cams? Just a guess?

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The cams don't have the little oil pocket in them really not that worried about it thou it must not be needed. The timing pins are in the same spots. And I have a spare 08 cam I'm looking at sending in to get all the specs on such as lsa duration ect just have to wait until my replacment shows up

·
Registered
76 Posts
Things like this make my mouth water:waiting:
I've been feeling complacent with my HO cam's now only a year old in my truck. Looking forward to see this project play out. MoparMan some of your posts made me get off my lazzy butt and do HO swap Vs another truck payment. :mullet:
Best of luck, Please keep us up to date!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well thanks and I will post more once my H.O. Cams sell

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
What are you asking for your HO cams?

I cant believe you still have them! I get calls all the time for them!

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

1 - 20 of 24 Posts