Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here looking to purchase (or already has one) a 2006 Durango?

1. I noted on the specs that you can get 18 inch wheels but the spare is still a 17. Is this an issue or is there no problem driving with one 17??

2. I also noted that the Limited's all come with grey running boards, regardless of the body colour. I tested a white one yesterday and colour of the boards being different looks really odd - any views on this.

3. Lastly I saw another post here saying for 06 the BLACK changes from clearcloat to Brilliant Pearl Black (which is standard for most new black Dodge cars) but the dodge site still says Black Clearcoat for 06. Can anyone confirm which is the true 06 colour? Personally the Pearl looks much closer to a dark grey to me, I prefer the basic black clearcoat.

Thanks in advance as I'm about to order my 06 Limited Hemi.

·
Registered
285 Posts
sledder said:

1. I noted on the specs that you can get 18 inch wheels but the spare is still a 17. Is this an issue or is there no problem driving with one 17??
A spare is what it is...a spare...used in an emergency to get you to safety...not to be daily driven as a replacement. We should be glad we have a full size spare and not those tiny donuts most people get....poor guys.

·
Registered
16 Posts
sledder said:

2. I also noted that the Limited's all come with grey running boards, regardless of the body colour. I tested a white one yesterday and colour of the boards being different looks really odd - any views on this.

3. Lastly I saw another post here saying for 06 the BLACK changes from clearcloat to Brilliant Pearl Black (which is standard for most new black Dodge cars) but the dodge site still says Black Clearcoat for 06. Can anyone confirm which is the true 06 colour? Personally the Pearl looks much closer to a dark grey to me, I prefer the basic black clearcoat.

Thanks in advance as I'm about to order my 06 Limited Hemi.
1. The overall size is the same so the rims size does not matter.
2. They are grey because they have not been painted. I believe it is probably an option. Go to a different dealer. The dealers around have the 06's with paint matched running boards as they did for the 04's and 05's.
3. There is still 2 types of black for the Chrysler vehicles. The gloss black and Brilliant black. I have the brilliant black on my wifes G.Caravan and when the sun is out that paint is like WOW!!!! I have already decided that if anything happens to my 05 white D than I am getting the brillant black.

·
Registered
16 Posts
99durango318 said:
Youll be fine with the smaller spart tire, unless ur buy an AWD durango,(if they even meake em?) cuz ull screw up ur transfer case
Yes they make them. Mine has AWD primary with 4hi and 4lo as selectable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Trust me, that all OEM's do extensive testing on tire / wheel combinations, and the use of spares as well.

If it is on there it has been tested and validated most likely beyond the limits that most customers will go.

·
2000 SLT+ 5.9L Platinum
1,199 Posts
sledder said:

As part of the Durango Owners Club ( www.durangoclub.com/forum/ ) annually we have a tour of the Durango Plant in Delaware. This is where every Durango ever produced has been assembled and painted, etc (Built). I drove 14+ hours each way, solo, just to attend the tour this year.

Well... during the tour, the group I was with asked about the running boards. The answer was somewhat surprising. Early '06 models had body color painted running boards. HOWEVER in a cost cutting measure which allowed DCX to cut a few jobs at the plant and a few bucks from the bottom line, they eliminated that position/job/option. You now get black painted, or matte black unpainted. I personally don't care for the style or the color and would order the D without any and then add something aftermarket. If I did stay with the factory running boards, I'd look for an earlier produced model to get them body color painted, or have them painted right from the purchase up front.

These little nuances of Durangodom are usually only present in real Durango enthusists. By noting the differences, you obviously have an eye for the D's detail. Welcome to the club :) LOL

IndyDurango

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hemi4wheeling said:
3. There is still 2 types of black for the Chrysler vehicles. The gloss black and Brilliant black. I have the brilliant black on my wifes G.Caravan and when the sun is out that paint is like WOW!!!! I have already decided that if anything happens to my 05 white D than I am getting the brillant black.
I have a clarification on my own statement. For 2006 and under they had both blacks. For 2007 they only have the brilliant black.

·
2000 SLT+ 5.9L Platinum
1,199 Posts
Hemi4wheeling said:
I have a clarification on my own statement. For 2006 and under they had both blacks. For 2007 they only have the brilliant black.

Correct on the "both blacks" for '06 as I stated above. I am not certain on the '07. Even more interesting if there is only the one now.

IndyD

·
Registered
34 Posts
As part of the Durango Owners Club ( www.durangoclub.com/forum/ ) annually we have a tour of the Durango Plant in Delaware. This is where every Durango ever produced has been assembled and painted, etc (Built). I drove 14+ hours each way, solo, just to attend the tour this year.

Well... during the tour, the group I was with asked about the running boards. The answer was somewhat surprising. Early '06 models had body color painted running boards. HOWEVER in a cost cutting measure which allowed DCX to cut a few jobs at the plant and a few bucks from the bottom line, they eliminated that position/job/option. You now get black painted, or matte black unpainted. I personally don't care for the style or the color and would order the D without any and then add something aftermarket. If I did stay with the factory running boards, I'd look for an earlier produced model to get them body color painted, or have them painted right from the purchase up front.

These little nuances of Durangodom are usually only present in real Durango enthusists. By noting the differences, you obviously have an eye for the D's detail. Welcome to the club :) LOL

IndyDurango

That could be something cool to check out one day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.