Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
edit: looks like I goofed on my first post and this should in fact be in the Gen4 area. Mods please feel free to move, sorry.

Hello All,

I've been chasing a front end 'rattle' in my Dakota and just can't seem to pin it down. I should mention I have searched long and hard and I believe I checked all the recommended items but still haven't pinpointed the culprit.

The truck is a 2006 Dakota ST, club cab, 3.7, 4x4 Auto. 80k miles. No modifications other than a trans cooler.

The front end has a metallic rattle/clunk at any speed over small bumps (like manholes, large cracks in the road, pothole, etc). But, if I go over a big bump like a speed bump there is no rattle. The rattle is more prominent if it is the drivers side wheel that hits the bump rather than the passenger - but this may be my skewed perception since I of course sit on the drivers side.

I've inspected all that I can think of and can't seem to find anything loose or worn. With the front end supported by jackstands and the wheels removed I inspected the upper/lower ball joints and found no play. The tie rods also seem to have no play. The sway bar is centered and not rubbing the frame rails and the end link bushings appear good. I did notice that it is rather easy to slide the sway bar in its bushings (the ones mounted to the frame). Is that the nature by design or is the rubber worn? The ball joint type sway bar connection to the control arm appears without play. The caliper bolts are tight. The axles seem OK as does the front driveshaft (tho it has a torn CV boot at the transfer case which I plan on rebuilding in the spring). The large bolts at the bottom of the shocks are tight. I can't replicate any metallic rattle with the truck supported on jack stands when I hit the suspension components hard with a rubber mallet.

What is left to check? I know the end links and ball joints are a common problem but I can't seem to find anything wrong with the existing ones. Is it possible my tug/pull/pry method of checking things isn't showing the culprit?

Also, I am positive it is in the front. I've replaced both rear end links which were badly worn and making a lot of noise, while that noise is gone the bothersome front end sound remains.

Appreciate your responses!

·
Mopar lover
437 Posts
Well I rebuild my whole front end upper and lower ball joint outer tie rod ends and sway bar bushings on my 04. The noise is gone all the ball joints where bad but it really didn't quite down until I did the outer tie rod ends. I couldn't really see anything wrong with the tie rod ends. Check your body mounts BTW.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you figure this out?

Just wondering if you figured this out? My '06 started doing this a couple months ago and is gradually getting worse.

Thanks.

edit: looks like I goofed on my first post and this should in fact be in the Gen4 area. Mods please feel free to move, sorry.

Hello All,

I've been chasing a front end 'rattle' in my Dakota and just can't seem to pin it down. I should mention I have searched long and hard and I believe I checked all the recommended items but still haven't pinpointed the culprit.

The truck is a 2006 Dakota ST, club cab, 3.7, 4x4 Auto. 80k miles. No modifications other than a trans cooler.

The front end has a metallic rattle/clunk at any speed over small bumps (like manholes, large cracks in the road, pothole, etc). But, if I go over a big bump like a speed bump there is no rattle. The rattle is more prominent if it is the drivers side wheel that hits the bump rather than the passenger - but this may be my skewed perception since I of course sit on the drivers side.

I've inspected all that I can think of and can't seem to find anything loose or worn. With the front end supported by jackstands and the wheels removed I inspected the upper/lower ball joints and found no play. The tie rods also seem to have no play. The sway bar is centered and not rubbing the frame rails and the end link bushings appear good. I did notice that it is rather easy to slide the sway bar in its bushings (the ones mounted to the frame). Is that the nature by design or is the rubber worn? The ball joint type sway bar connection to the control arm appears without play. The caliper bolts are tight. The axles seem OK as does the front driveshaft (tho it has a torn CV boot at the transfer case which I plan on rebuilding in the spring). The large bolts at the bottom of the shocks are tight. I can't replicate any metallic rattle with the truck supported on jack stands when I hit the suspension components hard with a rubber mallet.

What is left to check? I know the end links and ball joints are a common problem but I can't seem to find anything wrong with the existing ones. Is it possible my tug/pull/pry method of checking things isn't showing the culprit?

Also, I am positive it is in the front. I've replaced both rear end links which were badly worn and making a lot of noise, while that noise is gone the bothersome front end sound remains.

Appreciate your responses!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was missing anti rattle clips on both front calipers. Any significant bump would cause the pads to 'jump' inside the caliper and that was my noise.

The used car dealer I bought the truck at replaced the from brakes. Their half assed mechanic must have had some trouble fitting the pads and abandoned the clips.

These clips can't really fall out once the pads are installed. If you have a growing problem/noise I wouldn't suspect them. Start with checking the clearance of the frot sway bar to the frame rails. It's close and that bar and slide enough within the bushings to make contact.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same rattle in my front end when going over bumps/potholes. I wanted to say that I noticed when it is rattling, if I hit the brakes, the rattle stops. From the previous posts info, I am guessing that I don't have the anti rattle clips. I am going to check that out asap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts