Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Fire Durango
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any insight on the gas blowback from fueling up, I know that Dodge has a recall however mine is not included but everytime myself or my wife get fuel it blows back . I have heard somewhere to blow out the airline or it needs a new fuel tank, I hope its not a new tank this thing has only 31k on it. Any insight is greately appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 05 with hemi did that, but only started after reaching 50K miles...I think it has something to do with the fuel return vent...not sure. I sold mine, not sure the new owner is having the sasme problem...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello, mine does it since I bought it used. It had 49,000 it now has 74,000. I have the extended warranty with it. They tested it and found the tank is defective. I have been waiting since jan 12 for the tank, as it is on backorder. Have the dealer test it for the problem. I hope you have the extended warranty, otherwise I bet is isn't cheap! Hope this helps you!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Still Working On It

I took my 2006 with the same problem to the dealer after hearing about the issue on the forum. They did a diagnostic and thought it was the fuel filler tube. After it was replaced the problem has decreased but it is still there. I am waiting on a replacement fuel tank. Thankfully I have an extended warrantee that covers everything but a $100 deductible and the gas they have to use to test it.

Dealer says he has a Ram pickup with the same issue. Apparently it's a bad design from Dodge.

·
Registered
78 Posts
There is a check valve in the tank that is defective. As pressure builds in the tank when filling it, the check valve is supposed to relieve the pressure, but obviously does not. My Aspen got a new tank under bumper to bumper and my Durango will get one by only paying labor.

·
Premium Member
1,388 Posts
Took my dad's 06 on a road trip the other day and every time we stopped for fuel it did the thing you guys are describing. For the guys that have fixed the problem, was it the tank for sure? I need to know because I don't want to put a new tank in there only to find it doesn't fix the problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Still Fixing It

I just got the call from the dealer, my replacement tank is in and I am scheduled for Monday. I will post the results as soon as it's done.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello all, I just got my tank and filler neck replaced! The parts were on backorder for over three months! Crazy! I can report that now there is no issues filling up! It must have been a real poor design. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2 Posts
AH! Mine does this... everyone kept telling me I was doing something wrong. I KNOW HOW TO PUMP GAS! Thank god it's not just me!

·
DURANGED
68 Posts
my o5 durango always did it would spit half gallon at me i replaced the canister next to the fuel tank due to the tank was dropped to install new Mallory fuel pump a $110 part at dodge fix the problem dont need to replace the tank

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2K Dakota Quad does this. The P.O. said that the check valve was stuck shut, but he didn't have the time to mess with it (Thank goodness, everything else he has touched on the truck he has royally jacked up!)
Is there a way I can get to this check valve to see if I can fix it, or is it really a tank issue?
The know it all at the gas station says I have a bubble in the filler tube and I need to try fueling from the opposite side. I think he's full of it, and don't think turning the truck around and running the hose over the bed will do any good, other than make me look like a dufus.
>T

·
Registered
14 Posts
It was definitely a problem with the filler tube and tank. Once it was fixed I never had the issue again. Just a pain in the ass to finally get it diagnosed and fixed. Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same on my 2005 Durango, I just stop filling around 3/4 full, take the spout out, then slowly top up. Pisses me off when I forget, but c'est la vie!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts