Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, new user. Need some help with my mom's truck. She's got a 2005 Dakota 3.7 V6 Crew Cab 2WD. Two separate issues: First she dropped all her coolant and overheated, ends up the water pump and thermostat are leaking and going to get replaced. Second issue (unrelated to the overheating I was told) was a severe failure in her cylinder head. Some part of the cylinder head cast snapped and caused a roller to fall out of place and punch a hole in her RH (passenger) valve cover and she dumped at least 3 quarts of oil. Attached pictures of this craziness. So my understanding is the cylinder head is boned and needs to be swapped, my other fear is that the valve in question smacked the piston and caused damage there too (haven't gone in that far yet but wondering if that MIGHT have happened). Judging by labor estimates and costs quoted by the local Dodge dealer they want 2K for teardown only, 4.5K for head replacement (parts and labor) and 7K (parts and labor) if the engine needs to be replaced, better value seems like new engine to me. I work at a Ford dealer and that's where the thing is parked for now. I've been looking at replacement engine options and this is where some guidance might be needed. Seems like a lot of Mopar-equipped vehicles use this VIN K 3.7 engine, are there certain years I absolutely CANNOT use to swap in? For example O'Reilly Auto (example) lists a block for 2005-2006 years and a separate one for 2007-2010 models, seems like EGR in the head is the difference, or something else weird. I'm reasonably competent in my mechanical skills, I don't think I can do the head, retime the motor, etc but yanking the engine doesn't seem too bad based on ProDemand's procedure, just time consuming. Gimme your best guidance, please and thanks!

Attachments

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
89 Posts
It's a 15 year old truck -- you should consider a junkyard engine. Probably not worth a new or rebuilt unit unless the truck is something special. Start looking locally for a 100,000 mile rust bucket of the same vintage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 15 year old truck -- you should consider a junkyard engine. Probably not worth a new or rebuilt unit unless the truck is something special. Start looking locally for a 100,000 mile rust bucket of the same vintage.
I don't think she would be opposed to a used engine, the pricing is decent, some vendors say anywhere from $900 to $1300 in similar mileage as hers. But the question remains, what other year/model engines can work?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts