Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Took my truck to a mechanic with a misfire on number two got it back and now it’s a misfire on six. Took it to another mechanic they tested the spark plug, coil pack, injector, wires and all are fine. Took it to another mechanic misfire on number six for some reason cannot be fixed because I can find no one to do it. somebody please give me an idea what is going on here and what I can do

·
Registered
2003 Dakota Sport
75 Posts
Does the truck actually run rough? Can you feel a misfire or does it run smooth? Mine threw a misfire for cylinder 5, but it runs perfect, so I'm ignoring it for the time being.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I Took my truck to a mechanic with a misfire on number two got it back and now it’s a misfire on six. Took it to another mechanic they tested the spark plug, coil pack, injector, wires and all are fine. Took it to another mechanic misfire on number six for some reason cannot be fixed because I can find no one to do it. somebody please give me an idea what is going on here and what I can do
Here is a list of P300 causes. I once had a leaky gas cap that caused a vacuum leak that rang up a P300. Hope it helps.

What causes the P0300 code?
  • Spark plugs that are damaged or worn
  • Spark plug wires and/or coils that are damaged or worn
  • Distributor cap that is damaged or worn (only if applicable to the vehicle)
  • Rotor button that is damaged or worn (only if applicable to the vehicle)
  • Fuel injectors that are defective
  • EGR valves or tubes that are clogged
  • Ignition timing that is off
  • Vaccum leaks
  • Fuel pressure that is low
  • Head gasket(s) that are leaking
  • Distributor cap that is cracked
  • Camshaft sensor that is faulty
  • Crankshaft sensor that is faulty
  • Mass air flow sensor that is faulty
  • Oxygen sensor that is faulty
  • Throttle position sensor that is faulty
  • Catalytic converter that is faulty
  • PCM is faulty

·
Registered
430 Posts
These engines prefer regular old Copper plugs, trying to 'upgrade' or plugs is a bad idea, not sure if it applies to your truck. There a lot of possibilities with random misfire codes, and a bunch of threads on the subject with no clear simple resolve.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dealt with this very thing the summer before last. Fuel tank had a vapor leak, so while it was out of the truck I decided to put a new pump in. Shortly after startup it started throwing the same codes. Replace the injector, then the coil, then started swapping them between cylinders, all to no avail. Felt like a dog chasing his tail until I decided to test the fuel pressure. Turned out to be a bad pump - brand new. Running pressure was below spec and it wouldn't hold after shutdown (bad check valve). It's easy to check and the chain stores have the test kit for rent. I dropped the tank, swapped the pump and all the codes magically went away.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dealt with this very thing the summer before last. Fuel tank had a vapor leak, so while it was out of the truck I decided to put a new pump in. Shortly after startup it started throwing the same codes. Replace the injector, then the coil, then started swapping them between cylinders, all to no avail. Felt like a dog chasing his tail until I decided to test the fuel pressure. Turned out to be a bad pump - brand new. Running pressure was below spec and it wouldn't hold after shutdown (bad check valve). It's easy to check and the chain stores have the test kit for rent. I dropped the tank, swapped the pump and all the codes magically went away.
I had the same problem with my Durango when I first bought it but it wasn't the fuel pump. The mechanic took the injector from the cylinder that was misfiring and swapped it with another injector from another cylinder. He then cleared the code and started it back up. The cylinder misfire then appeared in the cylinder that the faulty injector was moved to which confirmed that a clogged injector was indeed what was triggering the code. I'm sure it saved money in the long run instead of just replacing stuff at random hoping the code would go away. I did however opt to have all the injectors replaced because you have to remove the fuel rail anyway and if one goes on an engine with high miles I think it's safe to say that it would only be a matter of time before they all go at different intervals so imo spend the money now (if the injector is bad) and have all the injectors replaced at once thereby saving multiple labor charges in the future.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts