Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2004 O2 Sensor Replacement Question [RESOLVED]

After troubleshooting the P0430 code for my 2004 Durango with the 4.7L engine, I find myself trying to replace the Bank 2, upsteam or #1 O2 sensor.

I removed the right fender well to get access. I have the O2 sensor out of the exhaust but there is no freaking way I can get my big hands into the space where the O2 sensor plugs into the wiring harness. I barely got the sensor out.

The plug is between the transmission and bell housing and wrapped around the transmission dipstick tube. I can see it, touch it but can not get a grip on it (the O2 harness plug) to press the latch and pull it apart. Where the plug goes into the frame harness there is no loose or extra wiring. The plug just pops out of the harness so there is no slack to work with.

Does anybody with experience on this truck have any idea how anybody can get access that will allow me to disconnect the harness plug and reconnect the new one in that tiny space?

Thanks,
Kevin

:banana2:[PROBLEM RESOLVED]

I fixed this problem by splicing the leads from the original O2 sensor socket to the new O2 sensor. I used good quality butt splices and crimped them tight then sealed with shrink tubing. :woot:

I used two indispensible tools for re-assembly.

Tool #1
Speed Drive.jpg
3/8 Inch Drive Speed Socket
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-drive-speed-socket-wrench-4432.html

This made tightening the O2 sensor a dream instead of a painfully slow process of one click at a time with my traditional ratchet drive. :woot:

Tool #2
Rivet Tool.jpg
Plastic Pop Rivet tool and Rivets
http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-riveter-with-40-industrial-strength-poly-rivets-97757.html

Re-installing the fender well turned into a nightmare when none of the auto parts stores carried a plastic pop rivet to secure the fender well. My local Dodge dealer wanted $7.90 per rivet. There are 7 rivets required to secure the fender. O'Reilly Auto Parts carries the rivets (25 per pack) made by Disco Auto Parts for $5.99 but they dont fit a traditional pop rivet tool.

I found the rivets and a rivet tool at HF for $16 bucks. Worked like a charm. :woot:

I hope my experience helps someone else save time, money, skin and blood.

Kevin

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank. I will try that. I'm having this same problem right now. It been like that for the last 4 months. I refuse to pay someone fifty bucks to do something I can do.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts