Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Was wondering if there is a step by step for removing and replacing it
Just want you to know this is a big job! you will have to pull the dash out of the truck. Usually cost between $500-600 labor to get a shop to do it.Everything is in the HVAC box so if you are doing one do all parts inside the box, fan motor A/C evaporator along with your heater core. Trust me I had to have a fan resistor replaced and within a year we were back into it for the A/C evaporator. 2nd time it got everything replaced. So save time, money and aggravation, do all of it while its apart. Good Luck with your project. 2000 Dakota Quad cab 4.7 auto 4x4 355k+ still running strong.

·
Registered
02 4.7l Dakota
204 Posts
Check youtube.
Bruh what up with copying exactly what other people say? You're doing it all across the forums. If you think that it sounds like you know a lot, in reality, it does the exact opposite. Don't post on something if you can't help.

·
Registered
73 Posts
OPA is dead on here I have had the luxury of a bad blower and MY DUMB luck the 2000-2001 Dakota and Durango (from what I was told) Maybe others as well
But anyway in my case to get to the blower you have to pull the dash funny enough the resister for the blower is also behind the dash upper passenger side closer to the windshield.
So as OPA said if you have to go through all of that bite the bullet and do it all, as I did mainly because I didn't want to have to pull all that crap out again.
Also plan on getting some new peel and stick foam or rubber weather strip for the transfer box below as it will fall apart when you remove all the crap that's required to get to what your after .
You will notice issues with air flow for sure if you don't replace it
Ask me how I know LOL

·
Registered
1988 Dodge Dakota LWB RC 3.9V6 3 speed auto
1,545 Posts
There is.

It's in the factory service manual.

Google for "2004 Dakota Service Manual" and if you grab a Haynes or Chilton, remember it's still not the factory manual; keep looking.

Or hit up Bishko Books web site and order it on disc (or paper; paper I find too expen$ive for my per$onal ta$te, but your wallet may be flu$her than mine i$) or hit up eBay.

But I've found it downloadable a couple of places.

Not sure of the legality of downloading it personally; but eh, your choice on it.

(Why, yes, bought paper for my 1988 off eBay then bought disc from Bishko both. Also bought for 92-96 Dakota from Bishko. Why do you ask?)

(The 92-96 I bought while thinking about doing a Magnum swap into my 1988; decided I didn't want to spend the money or effort for it then, but keep them. It's still a possibility in a few years for me.)

RwP

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just did mine and it is a pain but it’s doable.
I followed this guy and worked pretty well only differences is I didn’t remove the steering column I just lowered it. Must remove a little more of the dash but well worth it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just want you to know this is a big job! you will have to pull the dash out of the truck. Usually cost between $500-600 labor to get a shop to do it.Everything is in the HVAC box so if you are doing one do all parts inside the box, fan motor A/C evaporator along with your heater core. Trust me I had to have a fan resistor replaced and within a year we were back into it for the A/C evaporator. 2nd time it got everything replaced. So save time, money and aggravation, do all of it while its apart. Good Luck with your project. 2000 Dakota Quad cab 4.7 auto 4x4 355k+ still running strong.
100% agree! I changed everything and glad I did! 2004 Dakota Quadcab 4.7, 293k runs great!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts