Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Id like to hear from anybody who is running a V6 exhaust that is dumped after the muffler with a turn down tip....Im an a 03 v6 Dak with Jba headers, y-pipe to a single cat to my dynomax turbo with a tailpipe-at the moment! all 2.5" mand bent..

I want to get rid of the tailpipe cause im not too happy with it & just put a turn down tip off the rear of muffler

1) Does my v6 need the tailpipe for back pressure...will I lose any "low end" by removing the tailpipe??

2) How much louder will it be?? thats a concern as well, not really into ear deafening these days..:D

3) Any body part/axle issues i should be concerned with dumping the exhaust under the truck, opposed to out the back of the truck with a tailpipe?

RJS

·
Armed and Dangerous
2,475 Posts
I have an 02 v6. My exhaust has been cut off after the muffler for about 6 years. It is about as loud as I'd want it to be on the highway, if I have a headach it's almost annoying but wouldn't change it for anything. It wasn't too bad with the stock intake setup, but it got a ton louder with the intake and then again when I added Dwight's TB. I have some kind of Flowmaster muffler and the rest of the exhaust is stock for the time being. It's been so long since I've done it but I didn't notice any performance change when I did it. I've had no issues with the heat on my axle, just changed my diff fluid as sceduled. It's always looked ok. Hope that helps.

·
R/T to the GT!
1,932 Posts
Id like to hear from anybody who is running a V6 exhaust that is dumped after the muffler with a turn down tip....Im an a 03 v6 Dak with Jba headers, y-pipe to a single cat to my dynomax turbo with a tailpipe-at the moment! all 2.5" mand bent..

I want to get rid of the tailpipe cause im not too happy with it & just put a turn down tip off the rear of muffler

1) Does my v6 need the tailpipe for back pressure...will I lose any "low end" by removing the tailpipe??
well..... yes and no. with as little as you are removing, the difference in power wont be huge, and yes, you'll lose a little bottom end, but pick it back up a little higher up the powerband. I'd chock it up as not enough to matter, your butt dyno wont notice a drop in power.

2) How much louder will it be?? thats a concern as well, not really into ear deafening these days..:D
it will be loud, and it wont. Dumped under the cab/bed like that, you *will* set off car alarms in parking garages, you'll rattle china in peoples houses when you cruise through subdivisions, and your signifigant other will hate riding in your truck because she cant carry a conversation without shouting. But you'll get out of the truck and stand next to it idling, and it wont be loud.

3) Any body part/axle issues i should be concerned with dumping the exhaust under the truck, opposed to out the back of the truck with a tailpipe?
assuming it's not like right up next to it, I wouldn't worry about it. Mine dumps right in front of the axle, the turndown is only 3-4 inches from the axle, and there isn't even soot on my axle.

BTW, I'm running factory exhuast until the after the cat, then I have a flow 40 with a turndown. Like I said, out in the open, it's not that loud at all, but inside the truck, in parking garages, and inside my house when it's idling outside, it's loud as hell and I hate it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts