Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have a Durango r/t with the 5.9, Overheated and blew the head gasket and blew the radiator. Got that repaired. It started to overheat again. So I'd changed the temp sensor, the electric fan checked all fuses and relay. Still a no go. I by pass the temp sensor with a jumper and boom it kicked on. My question is could the connector be worn on the inside and is making no contact? Would it be a good move to run the fan straight hot wired, I 've tried using my Zurich zr13 Scan tool to turn on the fan but it says that it has no data for the 2003 durango.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Doubt the connector being worn theory. The fan is also controlled by the AC. If you start running hot turn on the AC and the fan should cool it down a little.

Reality is the factory fan is TOO SMALL to keep the 5.9 cool. Remove the fan and fan clutch (pickup about 3 hp plus some torque) and install an electric fan with a controller. WIN WIN!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I've found out the guys who did the head job had broken the old one and the connector on one side was spread so wide it wasn't connecting when slipped on. Appreciate the help, but those mechanics lost a customer, because they new what the problem was and said that they would fix it for $300.00, Not today lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm concerned that you're still overheating after the repairs. The engine driven fan should be able to keep the engine cool by itself, unless your idling and stopped a lot (maybe even then). The electric fan is meant as a backup in idling conditions, and when the AC is on (like OFWG said). For that matter, our trucks didn't even have the electric fan before 2000, only the engine fan.

You might want to check that your thermostat is opening. Other possibilities: low coolant, air in the system, failing water pump, or blocked water jackets.
Also, losing coolant (or coolant pressure) to a bad head gasket could contribute to overheating. I only mention this because it sounds like these mechanics didn't stand by their work, and I wonder how good of a job they did on the head gasket... Maybe a pressure test is in order?

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have owned an 01 and an 03 with a 4.7 in each of them. In Texas, if the electric fan goes out, it will overheat when you're stopped at idle. Of course that was in the summer. I could blow on it to keep it cool in the winter.
Seriously doubt the thermostat. When they fail, they generally go all the way closed and nothing will cool the engine. I have been told the timing chain being off a tooth will cause it to run hot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks, I've replaced the fan. Connected it and nothing. Disconnected the coolant sensor and bump it came on. but then the Gauge shot all the way over to overheating. My thermostat is supposed to be a fail safe. I'll try a few more of your tips and if I can't get it then I'll move her to the back yard and wait to send it to better mech.

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
2003 Dakota Club Cab Sport 4.7L
204 Posts
In the meantime you could run the fan all the time, or with a dash switch. A good scanner will tell you what the temperature sensor is seeing. I'm also wondering if maybe you're not pumping water or if there is an air pocket in the system. Are you saying the gauge went to overheat with the fan running? Or maybe your new t-stat isn't opening at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts