Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought a 2003 Durango SLT with the stock Infinity system with steering wheel controls.

1. What speakers do I have? I believe there are speakers in the front and rear doors, but I also see the word Infinity next to what appears to be a speaker grills at the top of the door panel. How many speakers? Do they have paper cones?

2. One of the speakers seems to rattle when I crank up the volume, is this normal, or is it most likely blown?

3. Lurking these forums makes me believe the Infinity system has an amp? If so, where it is? How does it connect to the head unit? Is there a replacement amp I could use to put in it's spot to add more power?

4. Does the stock head unit in the Infinity system have preamp outs for the aforementioned amp? Is the head unit difficult to replace? Any recommondations for a replacement head unit, specifically one with no cd/tape player which will connect to the steering wheel controls?

5. The MTX Loaded Thunderform, is it worth it? My last car had a sub like this, but the 10" version, it was pretty disappointing. Is this MTX going to be even worse, or is it at least passable as a sub? Other recommendations?

Thanks for the help everybody, and if anyone has any pics or advice on what to expect upgrading the default system, it will definately be appreciated.

P.S. I searched for about 30 minutes through the forums, if all this stuff has already been discussed, links would be much appreciated.

· The tenth one
225 Posts
1. OEM Infinity speakers, front and rear doors and some out back
2. Probably blown.
3. You have an amp. It is wired into the radio, with wires. No RCA style cables or anything fancy. You could add an amp, but it would be a ton of work rewiring everything and getting the impedance correct.
4. Difficult, no. You would need an install kit, antenna adapter and wiring harness, some tools and know how to take the dash panel out. Takes me about 15 minutes to remove the old one, wire a new one up and install it.
5. No idea, never used one.

· Premium Member
14,342 Posts
So I just bought a 2003 Durango SLT with the stock Infinity system with steering wheel controls.

1. What speakers do I have? I believe there are speakers in the front and rear doors, but I also see the word Infinity next to what appears to be a speaker grills at the top of the door panel. How many speakers? Do they have paper cones?

Not paper cones, but they are cheap OEM infinity speakers. Nothing like you will ever be able to buy in a store

2. One of the speakers seems to rattle when I crank up the volume, is this normal, or is it most likely blown?

definitely blown

3. Lurking these forums makes me believe the Infinity system has an amp? If so, where it is? How does it connect to the head unit? Is there a replacement amp I could use to put in it's spot to add more power?

Factory amp is behind passenger side kick panel. There is no direct replacement for it. Connects with line level inputs directly to the head unit speaker outputs.

4. Does the stock head unit in the Infinity system have preamp outs for the aforementioned amp? Is the head unit difficult to replace? Any recommondations for a replacement head unit, specifically one with no cd/tape player which will connect to the steering wheel controls?

No pre-amp outputs on the factory head unit. Not difficult to replace but you will have to buy a special adapter to use the factory steering wheel controls and will have limited function of them on an aftermarket head unit. Would be easier to just use the remote that comes with the aftermarket head unit.

5. The MTX Loaded Thunderform, is it worth it? My last car had a sub like this, but the 10" version, it was pretty disappointing. Is this MTX going to be even worse, or is it at least passable as a sub? Other recommendations?

Thanks for the help everybody, and if anyone has any pics or advice on what to expect upgrading the default system, it will definately be appreciated.

P.S. I searched for about 30 minutes through the forums, if all this stuff has already been discussed, links would be much appreciated.
Not sure if MTX made a Thunderform for the Durango's or how it compares to other set ups. FWIW, the loaded Thunderform for the Dakotas sounds decent, but not the best set up you can get for the price. What do you want out of your system?? Hard to make recommendations if you don't know what your goals are.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help.

Maybe you could help me with a few more question.

How large is the factory amp in the kick panel? If I change the head unit and rip out the factory amp, what size amp do you think I would be able to fit in the space the factory amp was in? Has anyone done this before?

I want to try to upgrade the stereo without having to have wires everywhere and amps under the seats.

Before I begin, I would just like some recommendations on what to expect, curent wiring, how much power is currently being sent to the kick panel amp, what should I do with the power coming out of the head unit if I use an amp to power the speakers?

Thanks again for the help everybody.

· Condoms prevent minivans
537 Posts
I have an '02 with the Infinity system. You have 4 6.5" speakers and 4 tweeters - one in the top of each door. It really is a 4-channel system with crossovers for the tweeters. I just replaced 2 of my 6.5s with JBL GTO 628s. Straightforward, but each door has it's own speaker housing THAT YOU WILL NEED TO RETAIN! Without these housings, anything you try to drop into the hole will interfere with the windows. Also, if your using the factory wiring, remove the recepticle for the wiring from each removed speaker and solder it on to you new ones.

537 Posts
1 other thing... Where are you planning on putting the sub(s)? I'm at a loss as to where to mount one or two in my truck - any ideas?

· Registered
8 Posts
I just recently bought a 2000 Dakota SLT Quad Cab with the infinity speakers. I have been searching alot on where to put a sub(or possibly 2 :huh: ) and i have found a sub box/sub combo that is made for Quad Cab Dakotas especially. But i dont beleive that would be enough "Punch" for what im wanting. Any ideas? this is the sub and enlosure im talking about. http://cgi.ebay.com/AMPLIFIED-MTX-T...073?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c03dcd19

· Registered
28 Posts

The stock infinity speakers arent that great compared to what is out there. My rango has 4 6.5" dr speakers and the frnt drs have tweeters. There is no amp at all except for the radio. There are crossovers to seperate the 6.5" speakers from the tweeters.If you go the sonicelectronix.com you can find all your stereo needs for the cheapest I can find with free shipping on most stuff. All you need for a new cd player is the ant. kit,harness kit and mounting adapter which is all cheap.
Also dont waste your money with a preformed box. Too much money for the bang . If you want a lil thump go with a single 10"/12" or if you want your rear view shaking I suggest 2 of either. 15"s are loud and deep but sq goes down somewhat

I have a jensen 7" in dash dvd,a 4 channel hifonics amp powering Alpine type R components up frnt and kickers spkrs in the rear drs. JL 1000.1 amp pushing 2 12" Alpine type R's in a sealed box .

· Premium Member
14,342 Posts
The stock infinity speakers arent that great compared to what is out there. My rango has 4 6.5" dr speakers and the frnt drs have tweeters. There is no amp at all except for the radio. There are crossovers to seperate the 6.5" speakers from the tweeters.If you go the sonicelectronix.com you can find all your stereo needs for the cheapest I can find with free shipping on most stuff. All you need for a new cd player is the ant. kit,harness kit and mounting adapter which is all cheap.
Also dont waste your money with a preformed box. Too much money for the bang . If you want a lil thump go with a single 10"/12" or if you want your rear view shaking I suggest 2 of either. 15"s are loud and deep but sq goes down somewhat

I have a jensen 7" in dash dvd,a 4 channel hifonics amp powering Alpine type R components up frnt and kickers spkrs in the rear drs. JL 1000.1 amp pushing 2 12" Alpine type R's in a sealed box .
If you have the stock infinity system there is most definitely a separate amp from the head unit. If you say otherwise then you don't have the OEM infinity set up, or just don't know what you are talking about.

· Registered
28 Posts
If you have the stock infinity system there is most definitely a separate amp from the head unit. If you say otherwise then you don't have the OEM infinity set up, or just don't know what you are talking about.
I bought my truck with an aftermarket deck already .....I do car audio on the side and did all mine but dont remember seeing one when i ran all my rca's. y would they come with a sep amp when the receiver is there? The stock infinitys were not a high watt setup. Imma look under the kick panel tom cuz now im curious. Do you know wat the amp specs are or does it say on it?

· Freelance Nutjob
271 Posts

The infinity speakers are a component set (sort of). There is a 6.5" woofer in the door and a tweeter located up high. They were probably not great when new, but especially not great now that they are 8 years old.
That's normal. Speakers are supposed to rattle. If you play a lot of rattlesnake calls. Otherwise, they are probably ready to be replaced.
There is an amp that is wired to the head unit via speaker outs. Basically they just stuck an amp inline between the head unit and the speakers. It's not a great amp.
No preamp outputs. See answer above. There are several good choices of head unit. I put a Pioneer 8200BT in my Durango and I like it well enough. It has its quirks though. I'd say do a lot of reading and visit your local shops that have them to play with and decide what set of quirks you can live with and buy that one. I bought most of my stuff from Crutchfield and got good deals. They also tend to give you whatever little installation bits you need for free, which at least simplifies deciding what you need to buy.

Good luck with your research. Hope you find something you like!

· Registered
34 Posts
I have an '02 with the Infinity system. You have 4 6.5" speakers and 4 tweeters - one in the top of each door. It really is a 4-channel system with crossovers for the tweeters. I just replaced 2 of my 6.5s with JBL GTO 628s. Straightforward, but each door has it's own speaker housing THAT YOU WILL NEED TO RETAIN! Without these housings, anything you try to drop into the hole will interfere with the windows. Also, if your using the factory wiring, remove the recepticle for the wiring from each removed speaker and solder it on to you new ones.
I have a '02 RT D with this same infinity system. All 4 speakers are blown and I'm not going to go blow the dealer prices. How do these JBL's work for you? I had tried in the past putting aftermarlet speakers on my Explorer stock radio/amp and ended up replacing the stereo with an amp to make it work right. Just want to change speakers on the D. Thanks!

537 Posts
I have a '02 RT D with this same infinity system. All 4 speakers are blown and I'm not going to go blow the dealer prices. How do these JBL's work for you? I had tried in the past putting aftermarlet speakers on my Explorer stock radio/amp and ended up replacing the stereo with an amp to make it work right. Just want to change speakers on the D. Thanks!
Sorry I took a year to answer... I didn't realize you had even asked the question! I just popped in here because I was looking something up for another user... They work great! Cleaner sound than OEM, but not something that will pound your chest.

· Registered
340 Posts
I've been running the JBL 628s for two years. I have no complaints. I find that even with these speakers they seem to have a higher range without getting distorted (for CDs). The OEM speakers had a heavier magnet, but the cones were crap (glued on...). I was shocked they lasted as long as they did. I replaced the front door speakers first, and then the rear door speakers half a year after that. I bought them primarily for cost - $99 for two!. Dealer wanted $300+ for a pair of OEM infinity speakers = no thanks.

As mentioned, you'll have to save the infinity connector and solder it onto the JBL. The JBL's also came with the proper fitment brackets and hardware to install. I installed two speakers in about an hour, taking my time.

I'm not sure why, but I've been eager to try some of Rockford Fosgates vehicle audio equipment. However, that would mean going to 4ohm all around and I'll obviously need to upgrade the head unit. As my D is getting rather long in the tooth, I'll wait to install a decent system in my next vehicle.

· Registered
365 Posts
I've been running the JBL 628s for two years. I have no complaints. I find that even with these speakers they seem to have a higher range without getting distorted (for CDs). The OEM speakers had a heavier magnet, but the cones were crap (glued on...). I was shocked they lasted as long as they did. I replaced the front door speakers first, and then the rear door speakers half a year after that. I bought them primarily for cost - $99 for two!. Dealer wanted $300+ for a pair of OEM infinity speakers = no thanks.

As mentioned, you'll have to save the infinity connector and solder it onto the JBL. The JBL's also came with the proper fitment brackets and hardware to install. I installed two speakers in about an hour, taking my time.

I'm not sure why, but I've been eager to try some of Rockford Fosgates vehicle audio equipment. However, that would mean going to 4ohm all around and I'll obviously need to upgrade the head unit. As my D is getting rather long in the tooth, I'll wait to install a decent system in my next vehicle.
i have rockford fostgate speakers in my doors and they sound good, and have a decent amount of bass for door speakers and i dont have subs (yet), they sounded good on the stock headunit even with the stock amp in place but when i bypassed the amp and put in my sony head unit they got alot better

537 Posts
Recently bought Dakota Quad 02 with Infinity sound. All speakers are blown. Can you replace the speakers with aftermarket ones and still use the amp?
Yes

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.