Dakota Durango Forum banner

2003 Durango R/T Long Term (Lazy) Build

16K views 46 replies 14 participants last post by  OregonSlimMF 
#1 ·
After reading up the best I could (probably half this forum so far), I realized there aren't alot of Durango R/T builds going on. For what it's worth I'll try my best to document what I do, and some of the ohno's along the way.

Here's the story on the beginning:

In 2001 I rented a Durango for about 3 weeks and at the end I wanted to pick one up. At the time I already had a car and a truck, so it wasn't happening. After a decade, I finally threw in the towel last Thanksgiving and picked up my 2003 Durango R/T for $5500. I've had other things going on the last 6 months, so I've been planning what where and why instead of buying stuff and turning my wrenches.

All that's going to change soon, and I need some serious info to avoid messes that have happened in my past (whaddya mean there's no parts available for that year?! - or better yet - whaddya mean the ported heads we just installed don't work well with the stock pistons on that year?!).

The finding part took awhile, I'm a picky man. It had to be an 03 model for the rear disc brakes, and black. As much as I despise keeping a black vehicle clean, it just looks the best on the D in my opinion. Then there's the R/T issue - as much as I hate getting 12mpg - I wanted an old school 5.2 or 5.9engine. Since they discontinued the 5.2 long before 03, it left the R/T. So basically out of a world full of DD's - I was left with a single year/ make/ model/ trim/ color combination. How's that for picky? :waiting:

In comes the next issue which some people suffer from: I'm a picky frugal man. Not to be confused with cheap, frugal is buying only what you need to get the job done. No chrome plating, no stainless trim, no flashy lights streaming my name across the windows. It also means finding what the picky me wants, cheap. Add to that I had to find one that hadn't been slid on it's roof, or rear-ended by a Uhaul truck - actually anything but factory bodywork was totally out of the question.

So here we are after months of an exhausting search. Actually, my wife the leprechaun found our R/T online while I was 200 miles away looking at one I didn't end up buying. Some people would be pissed that they went on a 400 mile goose chase, and then their wife calls to tell you she found the vehicle 70 miles away the opposite direction. After 12 years I've learned to just grin and bear it - and I usually thank her at some point. :D

That said, I need a smoke and a coke and I'll be back in a few.

See less See more
#34 ·
Good stuff. excited to see results.

#35 ·
update: Successfully moved to Missouri, Durango ran like a champ the whole way and the trip cleaned it out.

Just before leaving out I had the axles and xfer case serviced, a few notes on that.

Regardless of what the lube company VIN computer says, the 8.25" rear end DOES take limited slip additive (if limited slip) - doesn't hurt to add the stuff if you're not sure according to Dodge.

The A/T DOES need to be checked in Neutral (not Park) as I had wondered about - be sure to set your parking brake.

An AWD R/T will actually do front wheel burnouts (when turning) bone stock if it's running right.

And the stock 2.5" exhaust is poop - I thought it was 3" until I had to replace a clamp and got a better look - that'll be changing soon. In the past I've paid for alot of different exhaust systems, and the fact that some moron came up with 2.5" totally shows that they had no idea what they were doing in that department. I normally run 2.5" on a V6 up to about 4.2L - anything above that (in cylinders or displacement) gets a minimum of a 3" single. Duals sound good, but there's no room under these things :huh:

#39 ·
Maybe for a straight pipe from each head about 2 feet long :funny:

The bends and kinks in a vehicle with this much motor are EXACTLY the reason it needs more than 2.5" exhaust. The smell of the exhaust coming from this thing tells me a few things, one - the Y-pipe is leaking (also pops when it's hot). And due to the Y-pipe leaking, it's probably getting some ridiculous 02 readings and pressure variations. In order to straighten all that out, I'll probably have it replaced (with stock size) - it looks like rusted crap - and have a sweep bend installed on the driver side to replace the near 90deg kink in the stock pipe, better than stock Y to 3" instead of 2.5", aftermarket 3" universal cat, and then see what we can clean up going back in 3". There's alot of close quarters and heat shields, so it'll be expensive and time consuming - but a Borla kit taught me long ago (and about 5 others) that there's no such thing as a good system that comes in a box. And the other issue I've got is I want it quiet, and a may have to add a resonator downstream of the single muffler. I'll look into a few sources because quiet also runs hot, and heat destroys mufflers.

#37 ·
Nice man! I am just getting started on a durango build myself. We have a one year old so I can't really carry the family around in the dakota. Mine is a black 2000 with a 5.2. It is two wheel drive with a 3.55 geared 9.25. I have had it for about a year and drive it daily. I bought it from the original owners that ran it hot and killed a head. I also have plans for a torqe monster 408 in the future when the 318 dies. Sorry to take up your thread but I am stoked to see your progress. :drive:

#40 ·
KYB Silver Shocks are PERFECT

I wanted to make sure I mentioned that I installed a set of KYB Silver (street performance, you can buy KYB Red if you want truck stiff) about 1,000 miles ago, and this thing rides well. Really well, as in 115mph in highway curves well (kids don't try this at home, and the usual warnings).

The application catalog on their website is correct, and the shocks came with the right bushings (sleeved permanent). Amazon dropped them (with Prime) on my doorstop in 2 days flat in huge padded boxes.

But here's a warning - DO NOT listen to Amazon's application guide, thing told me the manufacturer number was wrong without asking a VIN on the vehicle or 2wd,4wd,AWD,etc - hmmmmm.

Get your numbers from KYB's website, and you will be impressed.

#41 ·
HwyPilot I like you. Its nice to know theres other picky people out there. I wish i wasn't so picky though because I want to build up my truck one day as a sleeper but something about the fact that it rolled off the plant at Warren MI with a V6 on November 1st 1996 makes me believe that it belongs with a V6. So one day I hope to be loaded and have enough rupees and tools to either buy and build up my 3.9 or just make the parts myself.
anyone know if SRT accepts work requests to rebuild your 1997 Dodge pickup and certify it as an SRT vehicle? lmao

#44 ·
But there's been no progress report in almost 10 years!.

#46 ·
LMAO!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.