Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having issues with a rough idle, and I read that the ps pressure switch , in combination with the 02 sensor could be the cause. so I though it would be a cheap and easy option to try, since I had no other ideas. problem is, on my 2003 durango with a 4.7, I can't find the pressure switch. It's supposed to be in the pressure line close to the pump. I've seen pictures. There is a T in the line and the switch screws into it, and there is a connector coming off the wiring harness that plugs into it. . .

but not on mine. I don't have a T in my pressure line, I don't have a connector coming off of my wiring harness with a plug, and I don't have a power steering pressure switch. I have followed the line all the way to the steering box, and there is no switch. Did they do away with it on the 2003 model? Any ideas?

This is what mine looks like.

·
American Rebel.
13,453 Posts
PS pressure switch has nothing to do with that. My truck had the same engine code get thrown but it fixed itself in a couple of days. the switch is just bad/shorted but does not cause rough idle...look for the PS switch on the other side....it has 2 or 3 wires coming out of it and it twists on

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not to sound too stupid, but on the other side of the pump or the other side of the engine bay?

·
American Rebel.
13,453 Posts
it will be on the side with the battery....assuming its on the driver side...its in plain sight...i really cant describe it to you, but itll be by the PS pump fluid resevoir connected to a steel line. T fitting with a little plug looking thing with 2 or 3 wires coming out of it
...honestly there is no need to replace..its like $40 and im a college student...still have pressure and the code reset itself....

·
Mopar lover
437 Posts
If you don't see one next to your pump in that line you don't have one. They did eliminate them what year I don't know (02 or 03). Did you clean your TB and IAC to see if it helps your rough idle?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having issues with a rough idle, and I read that the ps pressure switch , in combination with the 02 sensor could be the cause. so I though it would be a cheap and easy option to try, since I had no other ideas. problem is, on my 2003 durango with a 4.7, I can't find the pressure switch. It's supposed to be in the pressure line close to the pump. I've seen pictures. There is a T in the line and the switch screws into it, and there is a connector coming off the wiring harness that plugs into it. . .

but not on mine. I don't have a T in my pressure line, I don't have a connector coming off of my wiring harness with a plug, and I don't have a power steering pressure switch. I have followed the line all the way to the steering box, and there is no switch. Did they do away with it on the 2003 model? Any ideas?

‐-------------------------

First, I know this thread is from like 2011 but I'm at a loss with my wife's truck. When I saw that you posted about your truck not having a Power Steering Pressure Sensor/switch oddly enough I felt relieved. My wife has a 2003 Dakota 4.7 quadcab and recently it started running rough, making noises, stalling, and shutting off. And for those that don't understand, stalling isn't the same as shutting off. When it stalls it may buck, run rough, and get erratic idling before stalling; that is all engine related. When it shuts off there may not be any warnings before simply shutting off; that stems from the electronics (battery, corroded wires, short, etc).

So the truck was stalling randomly so we got it towed home. Turns out the battery terminals were heavily corroded causing intermittent contact. I blame myself because I knew the Battery Temperature Sensor needed to be replaced; the bad Battery Temp sensor was causing the battery to get hot which led to constant corrosion. While I had the truck I found that it was kicking off a P0550 code (Power Steering Pressure Sensor/switch). I thought, well that explains it running rough while driving or idling. So I ordered the sensor/switch and when I got it I couldn't find it! I looked everywhere. I searched the internet high and low but every diagram showed the sensor mounted on the steel pressure hose but there's no T or anywhere for it to screw in AND there aren't any loose wires. Then I thought, how could it give a code for something it doesn't have??? So I thought, wait I'll look at my daughter's 2004 Ram 4.7... turns out her truck doesn't have the sensor/switch either. That's what brings me here. The problem is I don't see any answers to the original post except that Dodge may have stopped using the Power Steering Pressure Sensor/switch. If anyone has any other answers to this please share.

As for the response that the Power Steering Pressure Sensor/switch doesn't cause running rough they don't have a clue. Look up error codes for power steering, namely P0550, and read about what it causes. Power steering is linked to the engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts