Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I'm in the process of pricing out a rebuild of my 2003 Dodge Durango SLT 4x4. It currently has a 4.7 liter motor.

I'm seeing conflicting information online but want to know if there's something that came from the factory with the 5.9's that the 4.7's didn't have that enabled it to tow more.

I've found this online towratings.net/detail/2003/dodge/Durango+4wd

I've also attached a screenshot from my owners manual.
Font Wood Writing Paper product Paper

Font Publication Paper Rectangle Document

Are there any additional frame reinforcements that came on the upgraded engines models? Or do I simply need to make sure that I have the correct gearing, engine size, and tow package to pull heavier weight?

Any help is appreciated!

·
I hate you people.
2,844 Posts
The reason the 5.9 Durango's towed more is because of the higher hp/tq and when paired with the 3.91 factory gears, they could tow that much or more.
To give you an idea of how that is calculated, the state of Kansas says that my 03 Dakota quad cab, 4x4, 4.7L V8 and 545RFE with the 3.55 gears and tow package has a GCWR of 12,000lbs. with a curb weight of 4414lbs. Accounting for just myself and full fluids, I have a two rating of 7K lbs. easily.
Now, depending on your 4.7 Durango's options, it may be lower or higher, you will have to consult with your state Department of Transportation or take your VIN to the dealer to have that looked up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

The reason I'm asking is that I'm considering completely redoing my Durango into an overlander.

I.e. new engine, new tranny, solid front axle, new gearing, suspension lift, new tires, rims, new paint job, overlander set up interior, cargo racks, etc

I don't think I could do this if the frame of the vehicle can't support more than 5,200 lbs of towing. Though, I don't suspect I'd ever really tow 7k lbs, it would be nice to have just in case.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts