Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all .. I am new here and have a towing question ...

I just bought a 2002 Durango R/T .. what do people in here pull with there durango?? ..

I just had a class III hitch installed .. so I would assume that would take me up to #6000Lbs GVW ... am I correct? ...

I plan on pulling a popup camp trailer .. that I dont think I have to worry about .. I pulled it with my Chev. Blazer T-10 with the Vortech V6 .. but I do worry about pulling my boat ... its a 21' SeaSwirl with a cuddy .. my Blazer was unable to pull it .. I dont know what the GVW is on the boat ... or the toungue weight is right off hand .. hints why I ask what you all pull and feel good about ..

Thanks!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just went out to verify that I am in fact running the 3.92`s ... This makes me very happy .. with the 5.9L I should be good to #7000 right? ...

Also .. a stupid question .. the 5.9L V8 is a 360 right?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
If you have the R/T, then I believe you have 3.92s no matter what.

However, I think the R/T might have a lower towing capacity than the 2 wheel drive Durango with the 3.92s?? Not at all sure on that one. That may have been something I picked up from some Dakota talk.

I'm not sure what a seaswirl with a cuddy looks like, but most 21' boats shouldn't be too heavy. I towed my buddy's 23' open fisherman a bit, and seemed fine, he said it felt better than his Ram 1500 (4.7) on the highway.

In case none of that was helpful, I can at least confirm that a 5.9 is also known as the 360 (it is liters vs cubic inches). :)

Edit: Here's a good link with some basic specs about the Durango. It doesn't mention any towing limitation with the R/T specifically. http://www.new-cars.com/2002/dodge/dodge-durango-specifications.html

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feed back .. it helped quite a bit ... I was reading on another board about people`s engins wearing out early to do oil sludge .. I dont know if it was all engines or just some of them .. anyone have this issue? .. also ball joints seem to be a factor in the durango .. there is a class action to get it solved ..

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The jury is still out on the ball joint issue. Last I read, the NHTSA investigation on that was still in progress, but it is definitely a problem that effects a good # of vehicles.

I think the sludge issue was mostly related to the 4.7, not that 5.9. (they are the ones that seem to be talking a lot about gunk on their oil cap etc) The 5.9 is a variant of the 5.2 that has been in use for years in Dodge/Jeep vehicles.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can confirm that the sludge issue is a factor with the 4.7L's only. It has something to do with the way the engine is designed and how it builds moisture in the crankcase. This motor design though has been in use by Mercede's for quite some time without any apparent long term problems.

As long as you stay away from a parrafin based motor oil you shouldn't have any sludge buildup problems. The older cars and trucks (like pre-'80) recommend using the parrafin based oils because it kept the motors from smoking as much.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
P.S. - Welcome to the board and as you found out ask questions and we will try to answer.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AdamLotz said:
I think the sludge issue was mostly related to the 4.7, not that 5.9. (they are the ones that seem to be talking a lot about gunk on their oil cap etc) The 5.9 is a variant of the 5.2 that has been in use for years in Dodge/Jeep vehicles.
Ya I thought the 360 has been out for ever and a day ... didn’t make sense to me that they would all of a sudden start having issues with them ...

SSRage said:
I can confirm that the sludge issue is a factor with the 4.7L's only.
WHOOOOO! thats a sigh of relief! ... Thanks guys I was stressing that quite a bit! .. LOL

SSrage said:
P.S. - Welcome to the board and as you found out ask questions and we will try to answer.
Thank you! I will for sure .. like I says .. this is my first Dodge .. so I am sure that I will have TUNS of questions .. :)

Thanks again guys!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just fire away! There is some pretty good knowledge floating around this forum if you just ask.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts