Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new to the forum hope im in the right spot, all the lifts ive found are for a 98-99 could someone guide me to what lift i should get? looking for suspension preferably. why dont the 98-99 lifts fit on a 02? arent they the same frame? any help is appreciated!

·
Chevy SUCKS!!!!!!!
1,685 Posts
In 2000 Dodge changed to rack and pinion steering as well as a couple other changes that make the earlier model lifts not work. So even though yea they are pretty much the same, there is enough different about the suspension to keep the lifts from interchanging.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
How much lift you looking for? Replacing the rear shackles and crankling the torsion bars will get you just under 2"

·
Chevy SUCKS!!!!!!!
1,685 Posts
Good luck. Only options are a body lift and torsion shackle lift for about 5".

·
Old Fart
182 Posts
The Tuff Country 5.5" lift won't fit the newer trucks with rack and pinion steering. If you could see the dropped linkage in the kit, it would make perfect sense to you.

You CAN install the older kit if you also convert to an earlier style steering box and linkage, but some fabrication is definitely required for that conversion. If you're comfortable doing that, then you might as well swap in a solid axle instead. It'll end up costing you about the same.

·
Chevy SUCKS!!!!!!!
1,685 Posts
The cost, time, and effort of swapping the R&P steering to the older linkage setup just to use the already expensive Tough Country 5.5" kit would add up to just about the cost and difficulty of just doing a simple leaf spring SAS.

·
Old Fart
182 Posts
The cost, time, and effort of swapping the R&P steering to the older linkage setup just to use the already expensive Tough Country 5.5" kit would add up to just about the cost and difficulty of just doing a simple leaf spring SAS.
Yup, pretty much what I said.

·
Chevy SUCKS!!!!!!!
1,685 Posts
Yep, just agreeing with you.

·
Chevy SUCKS!!!!!!!
1,685 Posts
I did a SAS to my 99 when I had it, I'll not do another one to anything that can't be bought as a kit. I bought, fixed, lifted, and painted my Cherokee for less then 1/3 of the money I had into doing my SAS. And even with 336,000mi its been way more reliable then my old 99 since the SAS. Imho doing a SAS to a vehicle with as little off road aftermarket as a Dakota/Durango isn't as cost efficient as buying a cheap Jeep XJ, ZJ, or even WJ since they're fairly low in price nowadays and modifying that. That's just my $.02 though.

·
Old Fart
182 Posts
IMO, the more "standard" parts (Dana 44, etc.) you put on a Dakota, the more reliable it becomes and the easier it gets to find aftermarket support.

My SAS is still relatively "fresh", but I haven't had any problems and I only have maybe $2000-2500 dollars into it. That's not much more than a Tuff Country lift plus a body lift, and I gained some durability in the process. If I had been patient and collected more used parts, I probably could have done it for a lot less, even.

·
Old Fart
182 Posts
http://www.adrenalinemotorsportsllc.com/

This company sells a 3" suspension for the newer trucks and I have seen 3" body lifts as well combo can give you 6" should be able to get what you want with that.
Just keep in mind that a 3" torsion bar lift will be very hard on front end components. They weren't designed to run at those angles so you'll see accelerated wear, especially on ball joints and CV joints.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts